Author Topic: Winter mornings with Friends  (Read 4957 times)

Offline BrianS

Winter mornings with Friends
« on: January 01, 2018, 01:53:53 pm »
Great start to a new year! Eleven below zero with clear skies and fresh snow. We shot the 3Ds  and afterwards had a real nice breakfast. I had my Grandson with me and even though nether of us shot exceptionally well it sure was great to get out.
Happy New Year to all!
Brian
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 07:25:42 am by BrianS »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: New Years morning at Hawkeye
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 02:25:42 pm »
You're a hardier bunch than I am.  It's great to have traditions with friends.  (S)   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BrianS

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 05:07:08 pm »
Pat,
Coldest morning that I shot on was minus 22. If you stay out of the wind it is not too bad. Trick is to figure out how to dress so that it does not interfere with shooting your bow. I found wearing a vest over a couple of heavy wool shirts over heavy weight long underwear keeps me warm enough for the couple of hours we are out but is not too bulky to shoot in. Another issue is targets that are frozen. Tips need to be pinned or you risk losing your point. Also many times your arrow "glances off" the frozen target. Lose a missed arrow sometimes in the deep snow but the rewards for getting out far outweigh the negatives for me.  Beautiful and quiet in our woods this time of the year.
Brian

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 06:58:05 pm »
Nice picture Brian. It is always difficult to find something warm enough for those temperatures that lets you still be able to shoot properly. I'm thinking some hot cocoa or coffee would be pretty popular with breakfast.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 06:31:02 am »
Nice picture Brian, Davy said he was planning on being there New Years day morning, and I see he made it. Looks like yall had a great day. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BrianS

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 07:07:20 am »
Pappy,
Dave must have been practicing while he was down at your place. He shot very well. Sadly we have lost many of the original group (some have passed and some have just drifted away). Dave, Barb and myself are the last of the original members who started the tradition. Lots of great memories up there. We have some great new folks along with some seasoned Members who have joined us so I am hopeful our tradition of getting together and shooting will continue on in the future.
Take care,
Brian (the short gray bearded guy in the picture)

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 07:31:47 pm »
What fun
wish some folks were close to here to shoot with
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline BrianS

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 06:13:47 pm »
Well the Gang was back out there this morning. Warmed up some from our New Years Day outing. It was only minus 4 this morning. Ten of us shot the course. Targets were still froze and we had a few arrows deflect here and there. Most everyone was real close with their scores today. Woods were beautiful with a covering of snow on everything. Animal tracks were abundant. Camera was not working great in the cold but I did get a picture of Jim and his winning arrow at the quarter target. Followed up our shooting with a eggs, home fries and bacon. Another real nice morning spent with friends. Very fortunate to have the opportunity and a place to shoot with my Friends.
Take care, Brian
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 07:27:34 am by BrianS »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Winter mornings at Hawkeye
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 05:59:57 am »
Got to love that, nothing like spending a day with friends of the same mind. :) I am fortunate to have friends to hang out with also that love archery and other primitive skills and feel very blessed as I know you do. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 07:19:13 pm »
Best club yet hope to see you guys this summer jeffw

Offline BrianS

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 11:35:34 am »
Another good one this morning. Clear skies, fresh snow and single digit temps. Eleven of us shot the course. Mixture of equipment ranging from selfbows to laminated traditional bows to some vintage longbows from the 50s. Everyone shot well with only a few misses. We had a tie on the quarter target which required a "shoot off" to determine who took home the pile of quarters (which had froze to the rock everyone had placed them on). After shooting, Tom and Don cooked up pancakes and sausage and egg burritos. Dino brought up some of the furs he and Colton had caught to show Everyone. He had a mixture of fox, fisher, coyote, mink. beaver, weasel and raccoon. Kevin had brought up the bows he received in the Christmas exchange to show off. Everyone hung around a little longer than normal, talking about bows and hunting. Real nice time this morning.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 07:28:18 am by BrianS »

Offline BrianS

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 11:37:33 am »
Some pics

Offline BrianS

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 11:39:50 am »
After shooting / back in the kitchen
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 07:29:01 am by BrianS »

Offline BrianS

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2018, 04:51:00 am »
Rack from Tom's buck

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2018, 07:40:57 am »
Nice to see a good time like that going on.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed