Author Topic: How far to pull a bend in handle bow?  (Read 9831 times)

Offline Traxx

Re: How far to pull a bend in handle bow?
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2018, 05:33:48 pm »
 Like you said modify your technique.  Its funny cause in the trad world theres all these rules about the best way to shoot, back tension and form.  Doubt the natives on horseback gave it so much thought, huh?

I would say,they may have given it some thought,and realized it was not going to work,in their application.Try shooting in the manner needed for their application,with "Proper target form" and see how it works..Watch the Video,,of Howard Hill,,attempting to take a buff,from horseback..You will notice his form change quickly...

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2018, 05:53:30 pm »
no sinew would not slow it down

Offline Jackpineboyz

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2018, 02:12:16 pm »
I've really enjoyed this thread.
I have a piece of 52" hhb that I've been eyeing up for a shorty and maybe a piece of yew if I'm careful.
For my bows I use my "functional draw length"  which is from where my hand contacts the handle to the arrow nock.  Much less confusing for me.  I can then measure the distance to the back easily for AMO draw length.  For me handle where it meets my left hand to arrow nock is 28" for "proper form" so I have a black mark at 28" from this point on my tillering bow.  I had a couple bows where I overdrew them on the board because of forgetting to account for handle depths. 
For this particular bow if the tips were flipped slightly, as seen on various native American shortbows, allow more draw length with the improved string angle? Or would the limits of the wood be met at about the same place? 
I like how that tiller looks at the end.  After I finish my molly, I'm planning a shorty next!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2018, 04:24:35 pm »
so you would be drawing an arrow to the field tip or head about 29 inches,, this is the strain the bow would feel,,
double that and you get about 58 inches,, that would be a good starting point for a bend in handle with sinew,
for your 52 inch wood,, make the best bow you can ,, get the most you can,, and the draw length will be what it is,,
probably around 25 or 26 before string follow off sets any gain in performance,,, you would get from increasing the draw,,
keep in mind your funtional draw can adapt to a shorter bow with practice,, it is more work, but very doable,,better to have a funtional bow,, than trying to get too much draw from a shorter stave,, (--)
Proper Form is very subjective,, when shooing a bow with 20 inch draw,,, your form will vary quite a bit from a 29 inch draw bow,,  (-S

that being said there are guys that get quite a bit more than normal draw from  a short bow,, but have made alot of short bows and know how to push the limit,, )P(

Offline Jackpineboyz

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2018, 06:32:27 pm »
I actually shoot my wifes bow anchoring with my thumb joint touching the groove in my chin, works about right.  I would like to see it do around 25".
Thanks for a great thread.

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2018, 09:25:28 am »
I have the art work done on this bow, i think it flows nicely into the sheep horn tips.  Im just waiting on the clear coats to completely dry before adding my grip and posting a few pics. 

My friend brought me a nice tuft of horse hair.  Im still wondering if this will slow the bow down or negatively affect the way it shoots considering that from a functionality stand point i would be adding unnecessary mass to the tip of one limb.  The idea is cool, but nothing about it seems good concerning how the bow will react.  Any one who has done some before and after shooting with horse hair tuft?

Offline Badger

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2018, 10:17:15 am »
  The affect of that horse hair would be so small it is negligible.

Offline Jackpineboyz

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2018, 01:50:19 pm »
Pony hair would be quieter since they are a little hoarse.
 (A) ;D

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2018, 06:55:56 pm »
Pony hair would be quieter since they are a little hoarse.
 (A) ;D

Best said in a whisper.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2018, 07:06:32 pm »
Pics as promised.

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2018, 07:07:21 pm »
Bighorn sheep overlays...

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2018, 07:13:33 pm »
I really like that bow. Excellent job!
Red Oak its the gateway wood!

Offline DC

« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2018, 07:36:57 pm »
Looks good. We need a full draw pic.

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2018, 02:13:44 pm »
Being a bit under the weather i drew the bow indoors today.  I have the flexible arrow rest installed 1-1/4" up from the center.  Ive always done mine between 1" and 1-1/4", what about yall?

Offline DC

« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2018, 02:20:42 pm »
Very nice, thanks :D