Author Topic: Beaver Quiver  (Read 7056 times)

Offline Philipp A

Beaver Quiver
« on: February 01, 2018, 08:43:54 pm »
Hi All,

I thought I would share pics and specs of a Quiver I had custom made for me. The design was inspired from the book "Encyclopedia of Native American Bows, Arrows & Quivers" written by Steve Allely and Jim Hamm.

It is an adaptation of the Algonquin Quiver from page 60 of the book. It was made for me by Fourrure Jackalope in Mt Tremblant, Quebec.

Specifications:
1. Overall length: 21.5"
2. Beaver fur for Bottom 19"
3. Lynx fur folded on top outside and inside 2.5"
4. Top circumference: 9"
5. Bottom circumference: 8"
6. Sheep fur inside lining (black) on inside
7. Bottom / quiver floor, outside deerskin with suede leather sandwiched in between deer skin and thick sheep fur on the inside
8. Strap: 34" length; beaver fur with deerskin lining and 5 x lynx tail tassels attached with leather straps top and bottom to quiver.
9. Fits comfortably 9 arrows

The arrows don't rattle at all in the quiver and are firmly held in place by the fur lining on the inside.

I hope you enjoy the pics and feel free to comment.

All the best,

Phil

« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 09:01:12 am by Philipp A »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Beaver Quiver
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 09:25:45 pm »
Nice quiver, Phil and it looks good on your wall.   8)  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 04:56:49 am »
Very nice
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 06:46:16 am »
That quiver is great!  I also like how you have your bow and arrows displayed around your buck.  Very nice.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 07:12:37 am »
Sweeet....Very nice looking quiet quiver.I always like the look of fur in almost any useful situation.Like the display and the self nocked arrows too.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 08:17:23 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 09:20:26 am »
I have a beaver hide from 2 years ago that I caught looks like it might be meeting a knife real soon. Nice looking quiver.

Offline Philipp A

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 09:43:25 am »
Thanks a lot for all the positive feedback, it is much appreciated!

Trapper Rob: if you need any more details about turning your beaver pelt into a quiver let me know. The key to success was really glueing the sheep fur on the inside of the beaver pelt to increase stiffness and to have the arrows not rattle. The inside bottom of the quiver is very thick sheep fur with suede in between and deer skin at the bottom. It also helped to make the quiver rigid and not collapse. I also like the contrast of the Lynx fur on top which further prevent the arrows from moving around in the quiver even if you don't fill it with arrows.

BowEd: I am posting a few pics of the arrows I have made. The shafts are Surewood shafts from Douglas Fir and the points are from Steve Allely. The turkey feathers are from my bush which were left over from a coyote kill. Two of the arrow pics are with field points and tail feathers from the same turkey.

All the best,

Phil

Offline Philipp A

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 10:30:11 am »
some more detail pics of the quiver showing strap attachment and bottom of quiver below

Offline Hans H

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 12:18:46 pm »
wow, very nice things you make!!
Hans
Hans,      Bavaria, Germany

Offline Philipp A

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 12:57:31 pm »
Thanks Hans!  Just so that you don't get the wrong impression, I did not make the beaver quiver myself but had it made in accordance to my specifications and with my input. The arrows (except for the raw shaft and tips) and bows are my own creation.

It was really a collaborative effort between the furrier and myself. I brought in my arrows, showed him the pictures of the Algonquin Beaver Quiver from the book and then we were trying to come up with a design that holds its form just using fur and deer skin and would be close to authentic but with the variation of using a combination of beaver and lynx fur and the sheep lining on the inside.

The next beaver quiver I will make myself. I will first play with some cheap fur before I dare cut up a nice beaver hide  :)

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 03:30:34 pm »
Looks like a very nice and functional quiver.

Offline khperkins

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 06:27:49 am »
Now that's a pretty quiver.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2018, 07:59:33 am »
Nice detailed work and pics of your set up.With time I'm sure you'll get a quiver for every occasion.That's what they all ended up for me to be.My favorite ones are just a plain old beef rawhide cat quiver tube.That way I really don't care if they get wet/full of stick tights/or dirty with mud.Adds to the petina....lol.You might want to get into tanning a hide yourself to save money.It adds to the satisfaction of it all.Boughten tanned hides can be expensive.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Philipp A

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2018, 08:52:55 am »
Hi Ed, thanks for the feedback. I agree my next quiver will be one I don't have to be concerned about if I get it caught on a branch or if it gets all dirty. A beef rawhide quiver sounds like a good idea for that. Alternatively I might just make one entirely made of sheep skin with black for the bottom part and fluffy white on top. I suspect that I will use my beaver quiver primarily for target shooting and the rest of the time it will spend decorating my wall  :).

have a great weekend,

Phil

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2018, 06:05:01 pm »
Nice work. Looks good.