Author Topic: Design rut.  (Read 2459 times)

Offline Morgan

Design rut.
« on: February 11, 2018, 12:43:39 pm »
I seem to be in a design rut.
I tell myself that I will try new things on the next bow nearly every time. But every time, I wind up going with the same design.... parallel limbs tapering to 1/2” nocks from mid or 1/3 limb out. Small modest handle that is either just barely flexing or just enough wood to be stiff. My mind tells me I want to try recurves, a chunkier handle with cut in shelf.... pyramid profile, tip overlays etc.
Once I start work though, all that goes out the window and I fall back to the same style.
I did go with an eastern woodland style bow a few bows back, but really that doesn’t  veer too far from my typical design, and I was less than satisfied.
I think it stems from failure and finding something that works well for me. I hate the thought of ruining a nice stave, when I know that I can produce something useful from it.
Could be that it’s just a phase because I’m still very green at this affliction.
So many here seem very eager to try new things and push limits. Hope I get there at some point.
Does anyone else have these issues?

Offline High-Desert

Re: Design rut.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 12:50:33 pm »
YES! I seem to fall back on my same few typical designs. I went years without ever building a bow that wasn't recurved. I was a little confused on tiller the first time I build a non recurved bow. I think about it as, at least I will get good at those designs. Try changing one little thing about your design type, and start there. Maybe parallel limbs for the first 1/3, or pyramid limbs. Something to get you learning to adjust tiller to front profile.....just some ideas.
Eric

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 02:03:12 pm »
I thought I was getting a little jaded with the whole thing and then I tried copying Marc's Bows and got all enthused again. You just have to push yourself away from your norm. Make sure you've got lots of wood so you're not concerned with wasting a stave and then fly at it.

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 02:27:02 pm »
     I have a basic design I like which is a mid 60"s r/d bow, stiff handle, cut in shelf at about 50#. And then I have the experimenting I like to do with anything from mini bows to Elbs, anywhere from 30# to 160#. That's why I came up with the mass program and no set tillering. It takes the guess work out of trying new designs.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 02:29:10 pm »
I purposely stick with the "pyramid" design, even though whoever first called it that should have a mill stone hung about their neck and be cast into the sea. ;-)

This design is among the most efficient and easiest to make. I have ZERO interest in being a famous artist who happens to specialize in bows. I want make bows that handle and shoot well, and last.

I try to get that result every time I work wood. Because I make the same design every time, I get better and better at it.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 05:56:55 pm »
 I'm the exact opposite.  If I'm in a rut it means I have too many of the same type of staves.  My mind just churns with ideas I'll never have the time and organization to try.   I don't want to be a bowyer-artist either, I'm just so curious.

I want to try more spliced siyahs, maybe from rattan,

hollow bows,

deep core longbow made from that almost solid bamboo, with a thin moso back, 

I want to splice some limbs from a failed handle to an elk antler riser,

I want to make some more cable-backed bows, maybe from bamboo slats,

I want to mess around with plum and osage more and some other woods,

I want to make more bows from shovel handles,

some more deflexed big recurves with stringbridges,

ultralight recurve tips where the recurves are held with lionen cable over little bamboo bridges, and maybe adjustable,

I wanna make some bows with a super set forward handle, like that "low stack" design in the TBB,

I want to make a horn/sinew bow,

I think what drives me is just finding out how many ways you can make a bow, and have it work well, and the next is tinkering with performance...........

Morgan, maybe start with a stave that you CAN"T make that "rut" bow from.  Like start by cutting the next one so narrow you are FORCED to make a BITH or whatever.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 06:17:52 pm »
I have to admit, this forum IS for folks who enjoy making bows or want to make their first one. I am the one who doesn't quite fit here. I like making bows to have a good one to shoot. I try to shoot at least once a day and often two or three times.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 06:33:22 pm »
That's something I need to get back to, Jim, for stress management.

And, I wouldn't say you don't fit.  I enjoy your input.  You've stopped me from doing a couple dumb things.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 06:51:21 pm »
I've always let the stave have a say in the design anthropomorphically speaking. :)
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 06:57:00 pm »
I haven't made enough bows to get in a rut, don't even think I'm on the road yet. I like the way Mr. Davis put it, I make bows to have one to shot. Me I would like to own many different types of bows just to try something new, problem is I cant afford them, but I can afford to make one, problem solved. That's my motivation for trying new things.
Red Oak its the gateway wood!

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 09:06:08 pm »
Never been in a rut but I should try it as I might like it
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 09:56:03 pm »
   I have had this problem for the past 15 years or so where I tell myself I am going to quit bow making, takes up too much of my life. A day or two goes by and I start thinking about something I had wanted to try and I am right back into it. Several months ago I quit for a couple of months, I sawed up my shaving horse and burned the wood. Last week I built a brand new shaving horse LOL.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 11:11:00 pm »
be happy making the bow you make,, you will progess as you need to,,it will just come naturally,,bow making is a slow process,,enjoy the journey,, no need to cut up your saw horse and you might need it again,, thats what the experts tell me,, (--)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2018, 02:23:34 am »
Never been in a rut but I should try it as I might like it
LOL... Maybe you'd enjoy thinking inside the box too? ;D
Del
As a general comment:-
Yeah, there is just so much stuff to try with both design and timber.
I think DC nailed it his comment about the wood... if you have planty of seasoned stuff that didn't cost, you can go wild and wacky.
Also, do collect the odd shaped timber and marginal wood, it may speak to you one day... or at least provide fire wood.
If you are really in a rut... you could think about flight arrows  >:D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2018, 05:23:36 am »
For me it depends on the stave. But I try to get the cleanest staves I can find also. I have been building the same style bow for about 5 years for the most part. Doing this has made me a better bowyer. I seem to have gotten over a lot of mistakes. I also use Osage on nearly every bow for the same reason. I admire those of you that can pick up hackberry or probably even balsa wood and make a fine bow from it. That's reading a piece of wood and knowing exactly what to do with. But I guess that's how it's done . Experimenting! Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!