Author Topic: Design rut.  (Read 2468 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Design rut.
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2018, 06:54:22 am »
Never been in a rut but I should try it as I might like it
LOL... Maybe you'd enjoy thinking inside the box too? ;D
Del

There's an idea  :)
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2018, 08:24:10 am »
Rather than trying new designs, first try to master one. I mean really master it from start to finish work. Make a "flawless" simple bow. Its not as easy as it sounds.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2018, 10:29:50 am »
I started out strictly making pyramid bows for about 3-4yrs. Then I transitioned into parallel to mid limb then tapered to the tips. Did pretty good with those. I started going shorter so that necessitated this new kick I'm on,  D/R sort of with something similar to the pyramid and parallel cross breed in that it mildly side tapers for half the limb, much more of a pronounced taper to about 5-6" and then as narrow from there out as I can get it without losing stability.
It's is all about progressing at your pace at what pleases and interests you. I have taken things I liked from previous bows and blended them into the next. The stave will dictate how much lee way you have as well. Like someone said before, maybe try working with staves that are outside your norm. Ones that can't be made the way you normally do.
  I'm not one that really believes in "evolution" of species per se, but I do believe in evolution of thought and in the case of bows, evolving as a bowyer as your experience grows.

Hang in there buddy just keep walking the path.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Badger

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2018, 01:42:02 pm »
Rather than trying new designs, first try to master one. I mean really master it from start to finish work. Make a "flawless" simple bow. Its not as easy as it sounds.

I think this is what keeps us building bows, trying to absolutely master the design and have it come out perfect. Never had one perfect yet but it feels so good when you come close.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2018, 01:58:21 pm »
You know what they say, the only difference between a rut and a grave is depth  >:D ;)

Offline DC

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2018, 01:59:45 pm »
Another name for rut is groove. Sounds much nicer ;).

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2018, 04:49:09 pm »
I like that one DC 8)
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God