Author Topic: WOBI Explosion  (Read 4918 times)

Offline JWMALONE

Re: WOBI help along.
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2018, 05:41:26 am »
Its only an inch so far, I don't think it will turn into a magic bean stalk. Is this common with all ipe bows? I would imagine it is. We  will see how muck it keeps after its shot in, then ill know how much to glue in on the next one.
Red Oak its the gateway wood!

Offline DC

Re: WOBI help along.
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2018, 10:17:59 am »
I've made three Perry reflexed bows and they all gained reflex in the early stages of tillering. I know one of them stopped gaining at about 20"(draw length) and then started losing reflex(set?). I think it gained a couple of inches and then lost maybe one. Still a net gain.

Offline JWMALONE

Re: WOBI Explosion
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2018, 11:25:41 am »
Well guys she is dead, but she went out with a bang. Took ten minutes to find all the pieces. I'm sure I done something wrong, it was only at 45 pounds went it went  and 1/4 inch thick were it blew on both sides.. I had pulled it to 55 on the tree while checking tiller many times. So I'm thinking several things.
1. My reflex wasnt smooth enough, it didnt look abrupt or all in one spot, but it could have been more evenly distibuted.
2. That backing felt awfull dry, I used it any way. Wasn't crazy about the grain either.
3. That ipe looks really dry on the inside for a tropical wood. Ive worked with other oily woods like mahogany and teak they never look that dry when you split it.
4. Bow gods mad at me.
But both limbs went simultaneously in the exact same spot. Right before or almost in the most acute area of reflex. there is also a swirly spot in the grain there but only one side. I'm thinking this was my screw up.

Offline PatM

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2018, 11:56:37 am »
Looks like your grain configuration was off in both pieces.  The appearance of the Ipe being dry is typical despite it being oily.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2018, 11:59:25 am »
Yup, if I can see what I think I can see, it appears you have some severe grain run-off on the backing.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2018, 12:00:25 pm »
How was it off? I have another piece that's identical.
Also I pulled it way further than I should have after switching trees. A good 5 inches, so that most likely done it.

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2018, 12:01:35 pm »
Drums I knew better than to use that. Now I know

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2018, 12:02:05 pm »
Grain rules the wood bow world, self or backed.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2018, 12:04:59 pm »
Yea I know, but ive made red oak bows with grain like that that never blew.

Offline PatM

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2018, 12:14:54 pm »
   What you have got away with does not translate across all wood types and combinations.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2018, 12:17:07 pm »
Yea I know, but ive made red oak bows with grain like that that never blew.

Yet. The true measure of bow quality wood isn't attained until you've ran 2500-5000 arrows through it. That's when the cream rises.

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2018, 12:25:03 pm »
Well ill use bamboo next, think I can figure the grain on that.  That's the second backing strip ive used the first I got was cut specifically for bow backing. Now we know.  Thanks guys.

Offline PatM

« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2018, 01:35:49 pm »
Who selected and cut it specifically for bow backing?

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2018, 04:40:17 pm »
The first one I used successfully was hickory backing I got from three rivers I believe. This one came from a local guy.

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2018, 05:28:24 pm »
John, the ipe followed the grain where it broke as did the backing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC