Author Topic: WOBI Explosion  (Read 4930 times)

Offline Springbuck

Re: WOBI Explosion
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2018, 07:36:31 pm »
Yeah, you might have gotten away with that grain wiggle on the belly, but not that big diagonal run out on the front, esp if the whole backing had grain like that.  Too bad!   :-[

Offline willie

« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2018, 08:02:00 pm »
grain can still have spiral runout even if the annual growth ring lines are straight.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2018, 08:10:29 pm »
Dang brother, I hate that!

Limbit

« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2018, 04:09:34 am »
For future reference, Ipe differs A LOT from one board to the next. I've made self-bows from Ipe that held up just fine from one batch of wood and then couldn't get even a backed bow from another batch. It is also very difficult to read the grain on it. It can be quite difficult to glue up as well due to the oils and sometimes it will spring off a lam and shatters itself. I know a lot of people make BBI bows now and am sure there would be someone who could let you know how to ID a good piece of Ipe from a crap piece.The only thing I noticed from the good batch that I bought is that it wasn't as dense as the second batch, it was easier to work and had a more reddish-brown colour. A good BBI bow is supposed to be one of the best possible combinations for a laminated bow, so it is worth trying again.