Author Topic: Tanning bear paws on progress pictures  (Read 10748 times)

Offline Mounter

Re: Tanning bear paws on progress pictures
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2018, 09:52:52 pm »
Looks great!!! Almost there.....  :OK

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2018, 12:12:20 am »
Like Mounter said..It looks great.You got yourself a bear hide!!!
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2018, 05:19:20 am »
Thanks mounter, it's getting exciting now. Burned a lot of calories to get this far still need to burn a few more. I'm hoping he'll be really close to done by tonight.
Thanks Ed just for the heck of it I looked on Muscow hides and was very surprised to see what black bear with paw and claws sell for. Of course I'm not planning on selling him.  Still not sure what I'm going to do with him yet but I've got some ideas.
Bjrogg
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 07:45:50 am by bjrogg »
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline JEB

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2018, 06:45:03 am »
My son and I shot bear this past fall with our bows. We skinned the bear out, leaving the skull in the hide. We will skin out the skulls this spring and do our own European mounts with them. I am looking for a business to send the hides to so I get them them tanned.  I want then nice and soft for project use.

A couple of very generous folks on here made possibles bags using the paw as the flap so I am going to give that a try and maybe quivers out of the hides.  Couple of ideas I have for bear hides Brian.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2018, 07:56:49 am »
I do wish I had his skull jeb but I'm happy to have what I have. I have a small animal skull collection I enjoy. I'm hoping he'll turn out nice and soft. His fur looks great so far but I wonder what time of year he was harvested. It does seem like hairs are close to leather or in some small cases even a few sticking through. I normally just tan my own smaller fur barriers that are harvested during prime fur season. Hopefully hide holds fur good.
I've got a few ideas on what to make jeb. I'm thinking the front legs would make a killer quiver with the claws and paws at the bottom
Bjrogg

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2018, 09:20:04 am »
I found and I'm sure your experienced enough to know that taking your time/looking around etc./staying involved with this hobby and hobbies like it that you will see and get good ideas of what to make from the bear hide or just leave it as it is as a display somewhere.Just make sure your measurements are correct of course before cutting it up.I usually like to make stuff that is practical and useful but that's just me.
Here's 1 idea....Years ago I made a pair of prime coon hide vests.Took 9 of them for each XL vest only using the 6" wide center cut from the backs.Gave 1 to my dad.He would wear it around in public along with the coon hat.At the cafe/at the grocery store etc./all over.....lol.I just wore mine at rendezvous's.

Again congrats on your job well done there.I used to have a pair of bear hides years ago but traded them away for some odd reason.Did'nt tan them either.I think I traded them for more teepee poles.....lol.Used to put them across as is on some willow rod back rests.Not very good backrests but they worked great back in the day.It's gratifying to get yourself in the situation your in now so take your time.

When cutting up self done brain tan hides for projects I go through the same dilemma of decision making.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 09:38:29 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2018, 10:38:46 am »
Personally BJ I like the idea for you of a quiver and possibles bag for your self.A set!!
BowEd
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2018, 10:50:58 am »
Thanks Ed. Man you sure do beautiful work. I'd wear that coat and hat to church. Bet your dad was proud as could be.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2018, 11:32:54 am »
Well still wrestling with the bear yet. He's still putting up a good fight but I'm winning. He's been a lot slower drying then I'm use to. The white areas keep getting bigger it's probably good it hasn't dried real fast. I've been spending a couple hours a day working hide. I stretch him all over using corners of my flat steel.
Bjrogg

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2018, 07:41:26 pm »
Awesome BJ.It's a lot of work I know but you'll get it done.It's quite an undertaking that's for sure.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Zuma

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2018, 02:34:12 pm »
Cool thread. Lots of info and ideas. :-D (SH) (AT) )P(
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2018, 04:08:49 pm »
Thanks Zuma believe it or not I'm still wrestling that bear. Got him pretty good up to neck and shoulders and they are pretty close I think. Sure taking much longer than I'm use to for smaller animals. He's getting white everywhere now but still has some moisture in some spots. Might put him in the dryer with heat off and tumble him in a day or two when he's dry and broken.
Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2018, 10:47:52 am »
Well finally done bear wrestling. He turned out pretty good. I may still split him up the belly but for now I'm just going to let him hang around the shop till I figure out exactly what I'm going to do with him. Gonna get real busy again and he's gonna have to just wait. Was a big job but I'm happy with how he came out.
Bjrogg

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2018, 11:39:35 am »
Congrats BJ!!!Glad you perservered through the job.Now you can sit back and ruminate over what you want to make.Good feeling for sure.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2018, 02:02:58 pm »
Thanks Ed, I know you know more than most how much time and elbow grease this takes. I know it took me more of both than it probably should have. I'm not really set up for these big critters. I don't think I'm gonna get to the second bear till next winter but I already know I'm gonna get better set up for big critters before I start Yogi II.
Anyone thinking of doing this it is rewarding but a huge amount of effort over a extended period of time. Nothing you can't do but there is a reason they charge so much for Bear Hides.lol.
Hope you all learned as much as I did.
Bjrogg