Author Topic: a little curious  (Read 6526 times)

Offline half eye

a little curious
« on: February 21, 2018, 08:53:48 am »
     I haven't been posting for quite a while but have been checking in occasionally. I noticed that a lot of members / friends have not been posting either. I lost my fire when it became obvious to me that there just was no room on PA for my approach to, and interest in, archery. I am mostly interested in Native American bows and culture.
     Lately I see the areas of expansion in topic areas and that's always a good thing, but the regular bow section is still the same techno-approach, modern material, computer analysis things that made me go away originally. That is when I really noticed that a lot of my friends were not posting either.
     I made this post to see if any of them were still around and had any input on this subject. I feel bad that there was not / is not, any room for the "primitive" bows and methods. I'm attaching several pics of my type of bow interest. I think the bows are well made, and beautiful as well. These bows have been proven in the hunting woods and as far as I know they are still shooting. They were all traded to friends that I thought would like them, but more importantly, use them.
     So, if any of you guys are still checking in once in awhile let me know what you think.

Rich Rousseau

Offline half eye

Re: a little curious
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 09:00:29 am »
a few more

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 09:32:54 am »
I'd say there's definitely an interest. I would agree though, there seems to be a lot of analysis of specs, force, draw weight, charts of all kinds, and technical info that goes beyond what I care to worry about. I've always been more inclined to just keep it as simple as possible. However, I can't fault somebody for wanting to learn more about the technical aspect of bow making. But, where do you draw the line between primitive bow making and modern bow making? Your guess is as good as mine Rich.

You make some beautiful bows, and they work damn good. That's all I need know.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 10:05:38 am »
I feel the same Rich. I could care less about the analysis, ect. and prefer the simplicity of a good ole' primitive bow. I have 3 of your bows and they are in a place of honor in my collection. I don't shoot much any more like I used to but I'm still occasionally making a bow or two.
We've missed you and your perspective on Native American bows and your fine examples of these bows and the accessories that go along with them. Please stay in touch.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 10:27:40 am »
Half eye I don't know you personally but I love your bows you've posted in the past and would be very interested to see more of them. I think there's plenty of room here for them. I don't get into all the charts and formulas either but don't worry myself about those that do. I do like the look and feel of Native American bows. I don't know nearly enough about them. I build my bows with some of those styles influencing them but I don't make historical representations of them. I don't have the knowledge to do that. I do believe I probably stumble upon some of the same designs purely by accident simply because I tend to use mostly hand tools and rarely measure anything. Granted not stone tools but draw knife, rasp and scrapper. I very much hope that you and your friends return to the site and fill in the space that is there for us to appreciate your works.
Sincerely
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 11:25:14 am »
Those are the bows I miss seeing the most. My interest in Native America culture since I was a young kid is what got me interested in making bows, although not just NA style. The simplicity is what makes it so fascinating. The physics and science aspect is very interesting and is a great way to get a better understanding. I love math, but if I could build a bow with a formula, I probably would have lost interest long ago. Thanks for bring this topic up Halfeye.
Eric

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 11:33:32 am »
The great thing about this form is the diversity of the bows
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 11:42:43 am »
I do appreciate the information that comes from these in depth threads but I must admit to glossing over any math. To me any knowledge, whether it comes from history or modern means, is good knowledge and I will pay attention. If it gets too deep I can click "Mark as read" and continue on. I do miss your bows Rich, nobody makes bendy bows like you, and I definitely noticed you weren't posting anymore. So stick with us and just ignore the stuff that bores you :D

Offline JEB

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 11:46:33 am »
Good thread. Very nice equipment that you put together. It was finding my first stone point on the ground that gave me the desire to advance my archery towards primitive ways, making my own self bows, arrow shafts and stone points. I am on a facebook page called Hardcore Traditional.  Well kind of as many of the posters use carbon arrows and they about as far from traditional as you can get. I am just a guest so I let that go.  Been shooting a bow for over 60 years and I really enjoy the traditional/primitive ways of archery.  Thanks again for the postings.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 11:58:08 am »
As an old(er) guy, my interest is in the NA and older European styles, I am not "abo" by any means, but use mostly hand tools, except in rough out.  I do believe the threads on techie stuff can get overwhelming at times, but some guys get their jollies with that.  Enjoy the builds and info on the more primitive bows and equipment much more!  Your bows and gear are very good, and I'd like to see more like them!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline rps3

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 02:07:26 pm »
Hi Rich, I always enjoyed looking at your bows as well as reading your posts. I also enjoy the more technical topics, and would hate to see one type exclude the other. Just keep on posting.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 03:52:45 pm »
I very seldom read  much of the technical stuff. Not what I was after when I started making these bows. I have two bandsaws but usually just rough a bow out with a hatchet. You should post your bows Rich, they always looked great to me except I'd never be able to shoot one with the short draw.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 04:21:00 pm »
The great thing about this form is the diversity of the bows

I think it's like bubby said. There's room for everyone here. It seems to me like every time they put a special section in for ABO knapping or horn bows or war bows nobody goes to them and you can't post those in the regular bow section. I like looking at what I like and might check out some stuff I'm not really into if it doesn't get to over my head. If it does I just don't read it. If you want to post your Native American bows here I see no reason not to. I think there's plenty of room for everyone. I would look at them and I'm sure others would to.
Bjrogg

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 04:24:10 pm »
I always enjoy looking at your works of art.

Offline JonW

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2018, 05:24:49 pm »
Make them and post them buddy. There are lots of people that will appreciate them. I don't post much because I'm not smart enough to figure out the picture posting thing. Maybe someday I will figure it out and post more. I think I recognize one of them bows  ;)