Author Topic: a little curious  (Read 6522 times)

Offline burchett.donald

Re: a little curious
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2018, 01:15:49 pm »
Rich,
        Been friends with you a long time now, we have gifted bows, knives, sinew, staves and the list goes on between us and hope it continues...Through talking on the phone and sharing thoughts and ideas with you over the years, I understand perfectly where you are coming from...I guess it is how one would define Primitive Archer or primitive bows...For "me" it is using all natural products, trying to make a bow you might see if you could walk back in time 200 years ago into a Native American camp or maybe a European clan of some sort...It's kind of romantic for me...I started out with compound bows then started making glass bows through bingham projects and killed many deer with these bows, but something was missing for me...As a young kid I made bows, bent hickory I would split in half after cracking the limb and river cane shafts...I always wanted to make a bow out of all natural material and take a deer or some critter with it...Well as you know my friend, I accomplished this in 2015 with Osage and Chert points... (SH) :-D
       Like said, it is how one would define Primitive Archery..."I don't know if it can be defined"...My state of South Carolina says in-line black powder and the latest high tech compound bows are primitive weapons for primitive hunt seasons...
       I must admit I have also held back on posting some bows also that only my family and friends like you have seen through emails...I am now in the middle of an Ocean Spray sinew backed bendy which you know about and will think about trying to post it up...
                                                                                          Don
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 03:25:59 pm by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2018, 03:24:43 pm »
The great thing about this forum is the diversity of the bows

Preeeeecisely!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2018, 03:59:21 pm »
The great thing about this forum is the diversity of the bows

Preeeeecisely!

Yep..  :OK

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2018, 06:36:32 pm »
  +3 guy's, guess I'll jump on the ban wagon myself and agree that the Native Americans, Europeans and others also had a lot of diversity in their primitive bows... ;)
                                                                                                 Don
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 06:59:24 pm by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2018, 05:20:33 pm »
I thought I would chim in and say if it wasn’t for Rich I would’ve never made a bendy handle bow or wouldn’t have been lucky enough to have 3 half eye bows. I would like to see more bendy handle, native bows posted. I also like all those critter sets. The last one is in my basement holding a Half eye bow and all my trade arrows I’ve recieved.

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2018, 08:46:20 pm »
Half eye it's the work that you do (and others) that keeps me grounded and coming back for more,,,I started with wood bows ,then fancy glass bows,,,,,,lately the trad scene is getting too ,uppity for me ,,, I wish I had a drop of your knowledge and skill,! ,,,,,,,I have been trying to build more primitive lately,,,,,and not having much luck ,,so I hope you keep doing what you do it's appreciated more the you think thanks Jeff

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2018, 01:52:36 pm »
Rich, I'm still here.  Checking in with you.  I haven't been on much either.  Family obligations, etc. etc.  I have sensed the migration to technical aspects of bow building.  I still enjoy most making a stick and a string.  Although I gravitate towards sinew backed for my shorties.  Hope all is well. Good to hear from you.  And my "Halfeye" bow is displayed proudly in my living room.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline ksnow

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2018, 02:18:46 pm »
Your work has been an inspiration, Half-eye, your bendies are awesome.  Like quite a few here, I love a piece of wood and a string. Nothing fancy, no engineering, just wood bows. Thanks for resurfacing and I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Kyle