Author Topic: Is hide gule good enough?  (Read 4742 times)

Offline Ryan Jacob

Is hide gule good enough?
« on: February 28, 2018, 06:19:39 am »
So I got lucky and found out that the gardening shop across the street sells 10 foot long and atleast 4 inch wide poles of bamboo, fresh cut to boot. Now if I do buy a pole, would hide glue hold up to wood om wood backing?

Offline PatM

Re: Is hide gule good enough?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 06:24:29 am »
Hide glue held together a lot of Yumi bows. You have to use it properly though.

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 06:30:49 am »
PatM
As in groove, size a couple times, wrap, and let cure? That’s what I’ve heard.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 07:18:43 am »
Grooving is not necessary with wood/Bamboo, that is used on horn, but sanding is good
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 07:48:12 am »
If you are going to the trouble to make a bamboo backed bow, why not spend a few extra bucks and use a proven glue that is stronger than hide glue?

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 07:49:41 am »
Isn't hide glue proven? ;)

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 07:56:54 am »
   I used a lot of hide glue when I was starting off and don't remember having problems with it. I switched over to fish glue already prepared and I liked it a bit better but it tended to stay tacky where it was exposed to the air on sinew.

Offline gfugal

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 10:39:24 am »
Hide glue was used exclusively historically when they didn't have epoxy or wood glue. So yes it is proven. However, it will take much longer to dry and cure than a modern glue, and it can't get wet while in use.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 10:55:11 am »
I have to agree. Hide glue is very, very proven. But, I would opt for a modern "water proof" glue. I would like the work time it offers and its less susceptible to climate change.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 10:56:27 am »
I think Ryan might have previously mentioned difficulty obtaining glue where he is.

edted to confirm.  "
 "" The TruValue here in the Philippines doesn't stock titebond 1,2,3 or any goo epoxys. Sorry about the confusing part their, I meant easy access to glues. I'm only 13 so shipping is a no-go. I'll heck out the build along threads though I do wish I had more access to bow making glues. Would hide glue work well in a high humidity country?"

I do wonder if plain old yellow carpenters glue is available.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 10:59:44 am by PatM »

Offline gfugal

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 11:05:02 am »
I think Ryan might have previously mentioned difficulty obtaining glue where he is.

edted to confirm.  "
 "" The TruValue here in the Philippines doesn't stock titebond 1,2,3 or any goo epoxys. Sorry about the confusing part their, I meant easy access to glues. I'm only 13 so shipping is a no-go. I'll heck out the build along threads though I do wish I had more access to bow making glues. Would hide glue work well in a high humidity country?"

I do wonder if plain old yellow carpenters glue is available.

Well, the Chinese bows were made with Hide Glue no? and some parts of China get pretty humid, but that's a good question. How does hide glue hold up in hot temperatures at 75-95% humidity? It just might take longer to dry, and it might not bond as strong but maybe strong enough.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 11:13:06 am »
I don't know that answer, Greg. What I do know is it doesn't take much heat to become a liquid again. And, I'm sure the change in climate effects we sometimes see on sinew backed bows cant be solely attributed to the sinew, the glue has to "give" as well.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2018, 11:24:57 am »
Didn't the Chinese use fish glue? It's a little more waterproof I think.

Offline PatM

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2018, 11:57:23 am »
They also used birchbark and lacquer.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2018, 03:08:31 pm »
My point is; speculation is one thing, actual experience is another. How many of us have made a bamboo backed bow with hide glue. I haven't read about anybody doing this on the PA site but could be wrong.

If anyone has done such let us know how it came out and held up. I don't expect there to be many hands raised because we all chose a better glue. Boy, I wish the old Urac was still around.