Author Topic: Is hide gule good enough?  (Read 4754 times)

Offline PatM

Re: Is hide gule good enough?
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2018, 03:18:48 pm »
 I have. It held up fine but I don't live in the Phillipines.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2018, 03:24:33 pm »
You don't count, Pat. Anybody else? Hands?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2018, 10:31:57 pm »
 Nope.  I trust hide glue's strength, but I would wonder about gap filling, drying time, and surface mating.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2018, 05:57:24 am »
I have never done it but comon sense tells me it would work with all the caveats above and proper prep , it's been used in composite horn bows for thousands of years , Fish or fish bladder glues  claim to fame is longer open time ,I don't think there more moister proof , no proof of that tho , but have used the yellow croaker bladder glue & fish skin commercial glue ,both great glues , you would need a type with longer gel (open) time like those in order to get the boo on ,smooth on or urac would work much better with a heck of a lot less prep and technique !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2018, 08:41:58 am »
Also, for anyone asking, I can’t find the yellow carpenter glue, and I doubt elmers school glue will work. Also, will ants eat the hide glue over time?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2018, 08:48:09 am »
My point is; speculation is one thing, actual experience is another. How many of us have made a bamboo backed bow with hide glue. I haven't read about anybody doing this on the PA site but could be wrong.

If anyone has done such let us know how it came out and held up. I don't expect there to be many hands raised because we all chose a better glue. Boy, I wish the old Urac was still around.

Bamboo on wood no but wood on wood yes.  I haven't shot it in many years but the bow is still holding up
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2018, 09:58:18 am »
If a sinewed or laminated wood bow using hide glue is exposed to temps above 150 F or 50 C I would let it cool before stringing it up and shooting and that depends on how long it was expose to those temps too,but as to it's toughness for holding in normal enviornments I would trust it and do myself.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline willie

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2018, 03:23:56 pm »
Ryan
What different glues do carpenters and wood workers use for glue in your area? We might be able to help you make a choice.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2018, 05:38:57 pm »
If a sinewed or laminated wood bow using hide glue is exposed to temps above 150 F or 50 C I would let it cool before stringing it up and shooting and that depends on how long it was expose to those temps too,but as to it's toughness for holding in normal enviornments I would trust it and do myself.

And why is that Ed?  I find that once hide glue is dry it is one of the most heat resistant glues out there

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2018, 01:30:18 am »
Willie
The glues used around here are gorilla glue, mightybond, marine epoxy and latex glue. I’ve tried the marine epoxy and it seems too brittle. Laminated some thin bamboo together and broke when I tried to bend it. The bamboo bent fine beforehand.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2018, 01:43:34 am »

And why is that Ed?  I find that once hide glue is dry it is one of the most heat resistant glues out there
If the hide glue has been cured fully yes.If under a year of curing I'd watch it.I should have mentioned that as part of my comment.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2018, 06:48:41 am »
Marc do you thing its as heat resistent as oven cured Smooth on ? Im not trying to be a wise A$$ just curious ?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2018, 07:32:46 am »
Marc do you thing its as heat resistent as oven cured Smooth on ? Im not trying to be a wise A$$ just curious ?

I don't know what temps you are talking about here but I heat-treated a sinew backed bow with no ill effects to the glue or sinew

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PatM

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2018, 08:34:56 am »
The Turks repeatedly oven rejuvenated their flight bows.  Not sure what temp they used though.  You would still want it to cool before bending as high temps probably still put hide glue into the equivalent of the glass transition temp of epoxy.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2018, 08:56:19 am »
Its interesting topic , I didnt know hide glue could take higher temps , good to know ! I know the turks reheated  tillering & hot boxed there flight bows but dont know what temps ! Ea-40 clamed it can resit up to 250 Deg F if cured that way for 2 hrs. I wouldnt want to try it.