Author Topic: Not quite spring yet.  (Read 6520 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Not quite spring yet.
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2018, 07:51:26 pm »
Ed .....I like the way you think...............
DBar
Now if I could get Robin to feel the same way...Ha Ha Ha.Just kidding...she's ok.
Upstate.....How much sap you figure to get or don't you know till it's done flowing usually?I bet there are those who would like to know how that process is done on here.I've checked into making it out of hickory bark but I gotta add regular old sugar to it.Kinda defeating the purpose is'nt it?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Morgan

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2018, 10:03:42 pm »
I don’t know how You northern folks do it. All that snow is pretty in pictures, but the cold that comes with it I have no use for. I’ll take hot over cold every time. I’ve spent 90% of my life in eastern Oklahoma and the mild winters here are still too cold for this guy. Breaks 100° pretty regular in July and August and I won’t complain about that near as much as I will 10°. Few years back in January we had a Wednesday that was -29° ( thought the world was coming to an end) and on saturday it was 76°. Oklahoma is bi-polar.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2018, 11:39:07 pm »
That snow squall came screaming through here too.
It was nice 'n' sunny.
Then, snow was heavy and blowing horiz to the ground!
WOW!!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2018, 06:41:08 am »
We got a light dusting here last night but back in the high 50's by the weekend, go figure, ::)  that's Spring in Tennessee. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2018, 07:45:37 am »
Ed .....I like the way you think...............
DBar
Now if I could get Robin to feel the same way...Ha Ha Ha.Just kidding...she's ok.
Upstate.....How much sap you figure to get or don't you know till it's done flowing usually?I bet there are those who would like to know how that process is done on here.I've checked into making it out of hickory bark but I gotta add regular old sugar to it.Kinda defeating the purpose is'nt it?

One tap will typically produce 1-2 gallons of sap per day as long as the freeze/thaw cycle continues.

I've got 12 taps in right now (a far cry from the 60 I've done in the past) and the cycle's been going for 2 days. So, I'm currently sitting on about 24 gallons of sap.

If the cycle continues throughout the week, which it's foretasted to do, I should have 40-50 gallons of sap by cook time on Saturday morning.

With the sugar content at 2%, 40 gallons of sap will make 1 gallon of maple syrup.  -C- :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2018, 09:01:46 am »
I see.Interesting to say the least.Sure wish I had good natural hard maple growing around here close by.We've got that old coon den softer type of maple along the rivers here.Imagine sap from that would work well too or even a bunch of sycamore trees.
The syrup is for sale here in various stores but none are locally made.
BowEd
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2018, 10:57:20 am »
I made some syrup from Big Leaf Maple. I think I used $40 worth of propane to boil it down. I got about a half a pint. It was sweet but a little bitter. But I did discover that the sap right out of the bucket was the most refreshing drink. Do you ever drink the sap from Sugar Maple?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2018, 02:59:53 pm »
No I have not.
BowEd
Ed

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2018, 01:28:27 pm »
Yes sir. Sap right out of the tree is like really fresh, clean water with just a bit of sweetness. I think health food stores sell it as a beverage.

A lot of different trees will produce sap that can be boiled into syrup, only the sugar content is usually no more than 1%, which means 80 gallons of sap to 1 gallon of syrup.  :-\
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2018, 04:20:49 pm »
Yes that's the problem.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2018, 05:31:27 pm »
It was 18 here this morning and almost 60 this afternoon. All the flowering trees have brown flowers now.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2018, 06:06:03 pm »
That might hurt your fruit production there Pat.If they were fruit trees.
BowEd
Ed

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2018, 10:42:34 pm »
Yesterday the drive to work was dry and clear.  A wicked burst of snow hit just after I got there.  The snow melted on the roads and then froze again.  The roads went from normal to a thin sheet of ice in a matter of minutes.  I had to drive 20 miles to another plant.  It was a tense drive.  I got sideways at one point.  When I got to the interstate there were wrecked cars everywhere.  One was upside down.  The sun came out and melted the ice just as quick as it had formed.  I've never seen such a fast and drastic change in road conditions before. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2018, 07:17:53 am »
Ed, Henderson County, next door, is a big apple producing area and they are worried.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2018, 08:08:11 am »
Pat....That's a shame Pat.Hate to see that happen.Robin and me try to stock up on fruits for the winter/spring canning.Could very esily happen here too.The trees are'nt quite out of dormancy yet though here.
Clint....I hear ya.Those are the times that catch people off guard.Even 4 wheel drive won't save them from going in the ditch but might get them out of the ditch though....lol.
BowEd
Ed