Author Topic: osage board bows: 2 at once  (Read 60416 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: osage board bows: 2 at once
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2008, 10:03:29 pm »
boy ....you could damned near chase a ring on that one Board!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

radius

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2008, 10:07:00 pm »
you're right, i could...but instead, i'm going to back it with cherry, and epoxy the two strips into perry reflex.  I have built 2 perry style bows in the past, out of white ash, using 1/8 backing with about 1/2 inch core.  The overall draw weight was pretty low, but i have hopes for this osage wood...

sun just came out...i'm gonna strap these blanks onto the bench and see what i can do...later

Offline DanaM

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2008, 10:12:25 pm »
I don't think cherry is a good choice to back osage with. Its weak in tension better choice would be hickory or bamboo.
If you use cherry I think your gonna be disappointed :(
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

radius

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2008, 10:15:25 pm »
ok, i'll take your advice.   

I just happened to have some strips of cherry around.

What do you think of fiberglass cloth as a backing?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2008, 10:18:41 pm »
ok, i'll take your advice.   

I just happened to have some strips of cherry around.

What do you think of fiberglass cloth as a backing?

The concept horrifies me :o :o :o It will work but this isn't the site to discuss the F word. Trust me bamboo or hickory will work fine to back osage.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

radius

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2008, 10:23:23 pm »
lmao!

too funny...the real funny thing is:  if we don't even say the F word around here...then what's with all the power tools?  It's almost absurd to call ourselves "primitive" bowyers when most of us use power tools.

But, yeah, i've been shopping around for some bamboo...what i've found has either been too narrow or has been sitting out in the winter weather for god knows how long...

guess you don't have much good to say about cherry wood, eh?  I saw a clip on YOutube by Rodney Wright, a Quebecois bowyer who made some sweet bows of cherry wood, but he backed them with...that's right...

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2008, 10:25:01 pm »
                                             There goes that damned ....."F" WORD ..........again!!!!!!!!!!!

Cherry is good wood....but you have to know it's limitations....and backing Hedge with it is like wasting
                                                       your time .....like totally                 dude!!!!

::) ::) ::) ::)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 10:28:43 pm by yankeemongiat »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2008, 10:33:42 pm »
radius check this link out, unbacked selfbow of black cherry, it fretted but is still shooting just fine. I think cherry will challenge your tillering skills
osage, amd other woods will forgive mistakes, but BC won't I like it just fine. I was just pointing out that its not going to serve your purpose to back osage with it.
As for the fiberglass issue I won't debate you about what defines primitive, but fiberglass is not discussed here there are other sites available for that.
Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression about cherry just offered my 2 cents worth be that as it may.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,6259.0.html

Manistique, MI

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2008, 10:56:00 pm »
i remember reading other post about F%b*e$ G#a@s and its not something to say on this WEBSITE! ;D ;D i like it being a primitive sight though, keep it clean lol :) :)
Modern Day Tramp

radius

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2008, 11:03:47 pm »
ok ok ok ok!!!  :-)

;D

I am outside right now scraping wood....i'll get some photos...like i said, this is to be a comparative build along...shooting for the same draw weight with slightly different shapes, Here is my question:

What will final tillered shape look like?

Remember, one has longer fades and longer tips...

Another question:  people seem to like backing osage, but osage is held to be the King Wood for bows, right?  So, what can it do on its own without backing?

Another:  People tend to say that you can get a 50# bow out of osage 1.25 inches wide...is it unreasonable to shoot for 70# on unbacked osage 1.5 inches wide?

radius

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2008, 12:17:41 am »
Ok, i have cleaned up the tapered ends and the bellies so that they are starting to bend in floor tiller...

At first, i just drew the basic shape on the edge of the staves, and then freehanded the cuts on my table saw...easy enough...stayed well outside the lines.  I just wanted to keep the excess wood, rather than file it off into shreds and shavings....

So here are a few pictures of the work.

here is my bench...open top with moveable 2x4's

here are the two bows with their tips tapered.  You can see how one is more abrupt than the other.  Shows both ends.

In both cases, the bows bent most where the end taper began...here are pictures showing where i have marked wood to be removed.  These are two pictures of the same end of the same bow.

Running out of light...i'll put in another half hour then call it a day...

grantmac

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2008, 12:40:46 am »
You want a couple of those strips of Hickory back? I don't mind giving 'em to you if you really need some backing for those boards.
        Cheers,
              Grant

radius

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2008, 01:19:53 am »
sure, Grant, that'd be cool!  Yeah, I don't know who gave you those sticks you gave to me, but they are definitely not Osage. 

You coming into town anytime soon?
Scott

radius

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2008, 01:34:30 am »
OK, tillered into the darkness, and managed to get nocks filed into both bows and gave them their first pull on the stick.  You can see the stick is simply attached to my bench...i need a workshop!!!!  Gotta get happening with that "creative visualization"!!  I'm in my shop, building bows, very happy, in my shop, building bows, very happy....

here is a shot of a thorn just south of one of the nocks

and here, this puppy is rift sawn...

while its partner (with the 2" fades") is "pondsawn"

here is the rift sawn bow at 11 inches (fair effort to get it there, upwards of 70# "by eye")

and here is the pond sawn bow, also at 11 inches, a little easier to draw into place

Can you see that both of them seem stiff on the left side?  Well, to double check, I turned the second one around, just making sure nothing funny was going on.  And it was stiff on the right after I flipped it.  So, tomorrow, I will chase tiller and try to get these sucker up towards 20 inches of draw....I've got other things to do, or I would run it all the way through.

One of these days I have to buy a spring scale.  So far I've done all my tillering by eye and by feel.  I have turned out one hickory bow 65# at 28 inches, and an ash pyramid bow 45# at 28, but from what i can see, using a spring scale takes the guesswork out.  Pull it to weight, scrape it, pull it to weight, scrape it...next thing you know...you're a pro!!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2008, 10:14:38 am »
Better get em backed with something before you pull em to far, would hate to see them blow on ya.

Manistique, MI