Author Topic: osage board bows: 2 at once  (Read 60434 times)

radius

Re: osage board bows: 2 at once
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2008, 06:22:05 pm »
lol!!

well, i'm underway now!!!

Offline Jesse

« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2008, 06:58:02 pm »
Good luck. looking forward to the outcome.   Jesse
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline DanaM

« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2008, 07:39:21 pm »
Must be nice to just go to the store and but bamboo >:(
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2008, 09:52:30 pm »
Yep....must be nice....all I can buy here is Red Oak....or laminated Bamboo Flooring.....it sux!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

radius

« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2008, 09:55:03 pm »
yeah, here in town at PJWhite Hardwoods I can buy all the hickory I want...at the Rona I can buy bamboo stakes...but it must be nice to go for a little drive and cut a hedge tree...i had to order my wood from Alabama!

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2008, 10:18:26 pm »
I can cut Hedge all day long...but even Pappy or Keenan wouldn't want any of it....there isn't a piece of Hedge in the Panhandle that is worthy of a Bow....if it isn't windblown into so much tension....it has rings about as thick as a Sheet of Paper....but it burns good!!! I get my Hedge from Laverne in Kansas
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

radius

« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2008, 10:21:09 pm »
who is Laverne?  And may I ask:  how much are you paying?

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2008, 10:32:26 pm »
He is a Stave Seller in Kansas...and it all depends on what kind of Stave you need....I normally only pay like 35-40 dollars for one  + shipping
2024...We Will Overcome

radius

« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2008, 11:31:54 pm »
Pat B:

So you think it's a good idea to tiller the bow with the objective of an even curve when reflexing it?  That's what I'm doing now...the back of the stave is rough sawn, and so I'm cleaning it up as part of the tillering process...I guess that's one of the advantages of working with boards.

grantmac

« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2008, 11:33:28 pm »
So you got the Rona boo? Excellent, any more pieces left that are suitable? Also how long were they total? I'll take all the 28" sections you don't want, I have plans for little pieces.
       Cheers,
             Grant

radius

« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2008, 12:09:55 am »
grant, i tried to pick the best one, of course...;D

but there are still a few left.  Problem is, they are cracked.  So you gotta sort through and think, "can i split it along this crack and have it useful?"  and "How many pieces can I honestly get from this stake?"

as for the shorties, they're mine.  I make bows for kids out of the scraps.  Maybe that's what you were thinking, too.

radius

« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2008, 01:14:05 am »
ok...so i had to work the backs of these guys, they were roughsawn with about a 16th worth of rough....so i hit 'em with a coarse file and then the scraper....

this gives an idea of the transitions

here is one handle half-rasped out

this photo shows the back almost completely scraped clean...and shows where i may have some troubles and need some advice...

another view of that trouble area....

what do you guys think I should do?  this is a fair-sized wane, where i actually had to scrape away some bark...how should i back this?  Can i just laminate the bamboo on there and then fill the hole with epoxy and osage dust?  Or should I use silk or some other fiber product which will conform to the shape of the contour?  What do you think?

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2008, 01:31:02 am »
eew...thats not good at all.... that grain with all of the Swirls and run-off....is a Killer ....the bark is the least if that Staves worries....Yeah you need to back that one....I would at least use Linen...but I would rather see Rawhide or Sinew on that for sure....TMO.....someone else will have another here soon.........
2024...We Will Overcome

radius

« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2008, 01:35:05 am »
what is TMO?

I could order some sinew, I guess...

radius

« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2008, 10:50:50 pm »
Hey!

You guys think I could heat-bend the bamboo to conform to the shape of the wane in this board?