Author Topic: Precarves, just a heads up, now for the fix  (Read 9885 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Precarves, just a heads up, now for the fix
« on: May 04, 2018, 07:58:09 am »
I picked up a "deal" on a precarve kit, just about half price. I started it the other day and found out the lock inlet was cut abut 1/4" too far back and 1/4" too low. I moved the barrel back enough to get a 1/4" touch hole liner in in-front of the breech plug. I inletted the lock plate as high as I could with the existing inlet so as not to have a huge gap at the bottom of the plate but I am not even close to having the pan on a barrel flat. I can drop the barrel some but even that will be iffy.

The purpose of my post is to emphasize the importance of NEVER ordering a precarve kit with the lock inlet precut, it is far better to do your entire lock inlet yourself.

You are safe with a precut lock inlet on a Kiebler kit as they as close to perfect as one can buy and perfectly located.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 04:13:01 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline Stoker

Re: Precarves, just a heads up
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 08:16:17 am »
Good info..
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Mike Yancey

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 08:33:20 am »
If you drop the barrel down very much you will probably get into the ramrod channel. You will probably have to do what I did. That's way low!

Offline looper

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 07:45:06 pm »
Eric, I've been reading the replies to your thread on ALR, and have to say that a lot of guys are giving you a lot of hasty advice.  Personally, I think the problem is that the barrel wasn't inletted all the way down. That's really not too big of a deal, though.

You said there is 5/16" of web at the breech. That's a lot of extra meat in there. I'd drop it down to 1/8". That would make up 3/16". You can get back the other 1/16" by drilling the touch hole slightly below center.  With the swamp on that barrel, you'll still have enough left for a 8-32 front lock bolt without getting into the barrel channel if you hug the barrel.

Is the lock plate now in the correct position fore and aft?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 10:13:25 pm »
The lock plate is in the right position fore and aft, I moved the barrel back a bunch to get teh pan in the right place in relation to the breech face.

I will make this thing work one way or another.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 04:08:46 pm »
I was going to trash this stock but decided I had nothing to lose by trying to fix it. I will trash the stock if I can't completely hide the fix.

Here is the gap I am trying to fix;

« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 04:13:43 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 04:10:19 pm »
I started by cutting another matching piece of curly maple to fit in the lower part of the lock molding, getting a perfect fit was a chore.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 08:06:17 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Precarves, just a heads up now for the fix
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 04:12:09 pm »
Glued in place with unibond, hopefully I will have an invisible glue line;

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Precarves, just a heads up, now for the fix
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2018, 09:39:51 am »
I have a  pretty good glue line.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2018, 09:41:52 am »
I think this is going to work, I cut thin lock moldings and can get right up against my glue line and have the right width for my lower panel.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2018, 12:19:45 pm »
Who made the pre-carve?

Looks like you can make a tolerable glass of lemonade from this lemon.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2018, 04:46:02 pm »
Rather than bash them openly I sent you a PM.

Offline Mike Yancey

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2018, 05:25:08 am »
Great fix!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2018, 09:15:37 am »
I have the lock plate mostly down;

I also have the pan close to where it needs to be, I may move the barrel back a little more.

The lock internals are going to be a challenge, I may try to inlet for them with the lock assembled, it won't be a pretty job with everything already cut for the former lock position.

Offline dinorocks

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2018, 12:24:12 pm »
Nice save Eric!  Over the past few years I have been shooting a couple production flintlocks and your post has helped me to continue on the direction of my own build.  Both flintlocks I have don't fit me as well as a friends custom gun (he has a similar physical build as me)...hopefully my first build happens sooner than later although I think I have quite a bit more to learn.  I did, however, receive my second lock dismantling lesson...all I need now is a mainspring vise and I'll be ready for action!  (Please let me know if anyone has an extra they would consider parting with :-)

Dino
"Speedy arrow, sharp and narrow"  GD