Author Topic: Ash longbow - 45# at 28"  (Read 9259 times)

Offline FilipT

Ash longbow - 45# at 28"
« on: May 18, 2018, 12:33:06 pm »
Another crack thread.  (lol)

I started today ash longbow and removed a lot of wood using perpendicular cuts to layout and then chopping chunks of wood of. Probably the best technique for fast wood removal but lo and behold, hidden knot took the split inside the layout (back).
I filled the crack with CA glue and clamped it. Was this a good thing or I could expect further problems? Should I maybe instead try to get rid of crack by going around that place? You can see that I have enough wood on the other side.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 05:52:17 am by FilipT »

Offline sleek

Re: Crack in a bow, did I solve this problem or not?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 12:51:37 pm »
If its in the handle or fade or tips you may be ok. Otherwise, back it, or sinew wrap it, but sinew wrap is hard to do and tiller a bow so....
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline FilipT

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 01:01:04 pm »
That is a bend through handle longbow and this crack is about 20 cm away from the tip. What about my second idea, where I make that part of limb in a "snake", so that snake avoids crack?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 01:16:10 pm »
that is going to sneak up and bite you later.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 01:24:53 pm »
  Looking real close, the crack seems to be following the grain....My vote would be to follow the grain and take it out...
                                                                                                                                                                           Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 01:37:09 pm »
How wide are your tips? You have lots of meat there for being so close to your tips. Id say keep shaving it down.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 02:14:13 pm »
  You should be able to follow the grain more closely there and work it into a "snake" as you said, ASSUMING you have enough width both THERE and anywhere else the grain takes that big a wag laterally.

What I mean is, if you try to follow the grain THERE, you should probably follow it throughout the whole bending limb.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 02:49:13 pm »
Yes it is following the grain. This is the idea I have. I did this in Paint.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 03:21:46 pm »
  That looks fine to me.  Just make sure it doesn't also run off the edge anywhere else.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 03:50:20 pm »
I will watch every millimeter of this while removing wood haha. Don't want to experience this again!

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 05:23:09 pm »
Filip,
         You will have grain run out again if you don't follow the grain...Green x's show grain run out area...IMO, I would start with a single center line following the grain and then lay out the taper from center...Hope this helps...Check out the purple lines, maybe you have room?
                                                                                                                                                Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 09:03:54 pm »
Ash, knots and bending is not a good combination, if you know what I mean......
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline PatM

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2018, 10:22:25 pm »
That ragged looking area in the upper right is just as concerning.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2018, 02:44:44 am »
I removed the wood already and it followed the grain so that limb will look like something in between purple and red lines. That being said, I do agree with PatM regarding that ugly knot. I know that one cannot bisect the knot, but we can remove most of it.

P.S.
What are you all looking at is not the clean back of the bow. This ash has really firm bark that cannot detach from the wood so I removed just the rough parts and this here is a underbark couple of mm thick. I hope that I could find an easy way to remove it. This ash has huge amount of rings and just a small slip on my part will violate the rings.

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2018, 08:57:22 am »
I've never worked Ash but with all the wood I have worked I spritz the underbark with water and let it soak in for a few minutes, then scrape with a dull scraping implement. Plastic works well. The underbark comes off easily.