Author Topic: Japanese Yumi arrow  (Read 5784 times)

Offline markinengland

Japanese Yumi arrow
« on: April 03, 2008, 04:34:55 pm »
I thought I would post some pics of a Yumi arrow a friend brought me back from Japan.
The arrow is of course bamboo, with a steel or iron target point, red silk bindings, three eagle feather fletchings and an ivory nock.
The arrow is 37.25 inches long, 5/16ths diameter with no discernible taper. There are four nodes within the arrow length. The feltchings are 6 inches long and 7/16th high. Though old the shaft is perfectly straight. It has been heat treated to an even coffee with a dash of cream brown colour. I have not weighed it yet but it feels light.
Anyway here are some pictures.

Mark in England

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Japanese Yumi arrow
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 04:56:16 pm »
Very Nice! 8) Must have cost a pretty penny....it looks like an antique (and with eagle feathers...wow).
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Andrea S

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 04:59:10 pm »
VERY VERY cool...that is a gorgeous piece...I'd have it in its own shadowbox on the wall. WOW. You have one heck of a friend.
Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. -Abe Lincoln

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 07:47:13 pm »
I would carry that in my quiver for good medacine.. great looking arrow. Hawk..A/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 08:07:33 pm »
yeah like said looks like a good huntin arrow.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline markinengland

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 03:59:22 am »
Yes, he is a good friend. He has travelled widely and has quite a collection of bows and arrows.
I would really like to shoot it to see how it flies, but with the nock damaged as it is maybe I'll just look at it!
What impressed me most of all is how regular the shaft is. Like a natural carbon arrow! Distance between nodes is about 10 inches. Apparently they would pick the shafts from particular glades of bamboo that grew in the right conditions and at the right rate to give a node placement like this. which automatically gives dependable diameter, stiffness, weight and arrow length. I must go out and show my japanese arrow bamboo plants the arrow. They don't seem to have got the right ideal yet!
Mark in England

Trapper

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 06:55:04 pm »
The Japanese name for arrows is YA, thats what they are called and thats what I specialize in, .... Nice ya man.         Trapper

humaza

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 08:59:20 pm »
Pretty awesome that it's eagle, I wonder what the species is that they used over there.

I have no idea if you could ever get in federal trouble because of it lol stupid feather laws