Author Topic: Alone again.  (Read 106847 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Alone again.
« Reply #390 on: July 05, 2021, 06:08:53 pm »
 :OK
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #391 on: July 05, 2021, 07:48:22 pm »
Yes it seems to me they could have picked a better location.  I have heard of some lakes here in Ontario being restricted in the sense where you can't bring bait to them but nothing where you can't use what is there already, no doubt BC has different rules

Could never understand how people were allowed up in AK to net huge quantities of Salmon to feed their dogs, saw that in Life Below Zero.  Just seemed short sighted to me.  Here unless you have native blood getting caught with a gill net is sure to "net" you a huge fine  (lol)
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #392 on: July 06, 2021, 05:27:54 am »
in the danish series "alene i wildmarken" (alone in the wilderness-you can find 4 subtitled seasons on youtube) they all have gill nets and apparently are not allowed to hunt.
With some rare exception they are not taking alot of fishes. At least nothing that could endanger a big lake population.
I guess that with the right donation to the fish and game department a show like that could be more beneficial than harmful

Online WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #393 on: July 07, 2021, 09:55:49 am »
I've found all those regs stupid and frustrating, too.  Season seven seemed a lot more "real" that way--they could pretty much do whatever they needed to do.  Besides, who wouldn't love to see Clay whack a griz?

It's been funny how much my wife and daughter (NOT survivalists) have gotten into it.  ha ha
T
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline HH~

« Reply #394 on: July 07, 2021, 12:10:35 pm »
Think the Blacktop Jungle would have been a better pick. I mean, who picks a place that in a real survival location would not be as bad as it is due to an Earth First policy for humans in that region. I will tell you who. . . . . Hollywood. Took 3 episodes watched on phone for the Hedginator to Tap Out.

Shawn~
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 06:14:03 pm by HH~ »
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline willie

« Reply #395 on: July 08, 2021, 03:49:20 am »
Could never understand how people were allowed up in AK to net huge quantities of Salmon to feed their dogs, saw that in Life Below Zero.  Just seemed short sighted to me. 

Pacific salmon die after spawning, they only return from the ocean once.  Left unharvested, salmon will over spawn creating boom and bust year cycles. Harvest numbers are actively managed  to spawn  optimum future yields, year in year out. Fish are allocated to all user groups

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #396 on: July 08, 2021, 09:04:00 am »
Could never understand how people were allowed up in AK to net huge quantities of Salmon to feed their dogs, saw that in Life Below Zero.  Just seemed short sighted to me. 

Pacific salmon die after spawning, they only return from the ocean once.  Left unharvested, salmon will over spawn creating boom and bust year cycles. Harvest numbers are actively managed  to spawn  optimum future yields, year in year out. Fish are allocated to all user groups

That may be true but they caught them to the point where they closed the Salmon altogether and I know that some people were catching them for food and not to feed their 40 dogs.  I know the Hailstones were netting for food not to feed dogs

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline willie

« Reply #397 on: July 08, 2021, 03:30:41 pm »
That may be true but they caught them to the point where they closed the Salmon altogether

The salmon return in a short time frame and return numbers are unknown until the run is underway. On going openings and closures of the harvest is how a run is typically managed. Feeding dogs is a traditional use, as dogs are used for transportation in the winter.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 03:55:29 pm by willie »

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #398 on: July 09, 2021, 09:54:02 am »
That may be true but they caught them to the point where they closed the Salmon altogether

The salmon return in a short time frame and return numbers are unknown until the run is underway. On going openings and closures of the harvest is how a run is typically managed. Feeding dogs is a traditional use, as dogs are used for transportation in the winter.

You do know what is wrong with that whole scenario right?

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #399 on: July 09, 2021, 02:20:22 pm »
Ok
I'm a very depressed fish with strong suicidal tendencies.
Life is boring, water too humid and instead of my dreamed caribbean seas I have to live in a glacial lake that freezes my eggs.
I'm ending it all
if I could only get into that cone coffin....

Offline willie

« Reply #400 on: July 09, 2021, 03:52:33 pm »
You do know what is wrong with that whole scenario right?

Marc, There are many misconceptions about Pacific salmon management. I have spent 35 years of my life in salmon fisheries, and I welcome any opportunity to share info with those whose may not be so well acquainted.

Your concern is about dogs?  but I am guessing here......

⚛︎
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 06:44:49 pm by willie »

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #401 on: July 12, 2021, 10:35:47 am »
Just noticed that Clay H is realeasing a series of youtube videos commenting Alone episodes.
At this point of the season they sounds a little to much as spoilers.
I hope there will be more twist and turns as at present the finale seems going on rails.

Offline HH~

« Reply #402 on: July 12, 2021, 10:55:26 am »
What you dont know is theres a Sleeper in the group from the getgo

Hedge~

« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 11:13:29 am by HH~ »

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline HH~

« Reply #403 on: July 12, 2021, 12:52:41 pm »
She’s a world Class Bowhunter. Most dont even know it. Not many do. Few Animals away from the NA 29 Super Slam. Maybe the only woman ever to get it done on a workin mans budget. Only reason i even poked my nose in a couple times. But…. Never saw her much.

To bad. But Hollywoke prolly not fans of her accomplishments. Why, no doubt there was no word about them!

Shawn~
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 10:44:51 am by HH~ »

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #404 on: July 13, 2021, 05:48:54 am »
She’s a world Class Bowhunter. Most dont even know it. None here do for sure.

it's all on episode 1 at minute 30:00
I hope the reason there are only a few scenes of her is she reserve surprises.
She seems a determined lady.