Author Topic: five yards difference  (Read 6494 times)

Offline jeffp51

five yards difference
« on: July 03, 2018, 04:56:37 pm »
I have been practicing quite a lot lately, and I am seeing some improvement, with is nice.  However. . .

How is it that at 15 yards I can feel pretty good--I can put 7 out of my 8 arrows (that shoot straight right now)  into the center of the target--buut at 20 yards  why does it almost feels like I have never shot before?  It doesn't seem like five yards shouldn't make that much difference.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: five yards difference
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 05:51:40 pm »
Arrows drop pretty quickly past 15 to 20 yards especially with a bow that shoots relatively slow. I don't like to shoot groups. To me the other arrows break my concentration and concentration and consistency makes for good shooting.
 Try shooting one arrow at a time, retrieve it and shoot again. Start at 10 yards and shoot at that distance until you can put the arrow right where you want it(not just close) using a small point of aim. Then move to 15 yards and do the same, then 20, 25 and so on. And, don't try to do it all in one day. Start now and by hunting season you will be a lot better shot.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Comalforge

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 07:43:55 pm »
I put a playing card on a bale of hay to give me something to aim at.  My eyes are not great and it gives me a focus point.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 10:25:34 pm »
Even a playing card it too big. Pick a spot on the target, a discoloration, an old arrow hole and concentrate on putting that arrow back in that hole. Aim small, miss small.   (SH)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 07:40:19 am »
Jeff, muscle memory rules our shooting. If you practice most often at 15 yards and then back up to 20 yards your muscles are still tuned for the usual 15 yards. Rather than shooting 8 arrows at 15, shoot one and then move back or ahead and shoot another, then move again. I like to grab 6 arrows and just toss them randomly on the ground from 10-20 yards at different angles. Shoot each one from the spot they lay.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 08:27:18 am »
To me it's a mind training thing.It seems the brain is accustomed to putting your bow arm where it needs to be.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Comalforge

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 12:14:33 pm »
Even a playing card it too big. Pick a spot on the target, a discoloration, an old arrow hole and concentrate on putting that arrow back in that hole. Aim small, miss small.   (SH)

I agree with aim small, miss small - but like I said, I can't see that well.  I have generally been able to see fletching so I'll aim at that after the first arrow.

One of reasons I like to roam around is so I can aim at thistles and other stuff out in the brush or the pasture.

Offline Will Tell

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 06:22:08 pm »
I agree with the one arrow at a time. My back yard slopes so I shoot uphill and down, close and far out to 20 yards with my self bows. 20 yards is a long shot for me but if I'm on that day I can usually get mostly kill shots.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 11:41:32 pm »
We have to deal with a "no shooting" ordinance, but the archery range is just 2.5 miles away.  The practice targets butts have Bout 9 small dots about 2".   It is easy to shoot a different dot with each arrow!  There are targets at 10, 20, 30, and 40 yards, and a separate 50 & 60 yard practice range.  I can usually stay close to The dot I am aiming for at 10 yards, 20 is another matter, but I hit the Butts every shot (SH) (lol)!  More and correct practice is needed!  Shoot, chase, shoot, chase takes the fun out for me,  that's why I got more darts for my atlatl! (AT).  One dot, one arrow should work!  Have fun, hunting season is less than 2 months off!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline burtonridr

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 04:33:51 pm »
We have to deal with a "no shooting" ordinance, but the archery range is just 2.5 miles away.  The practice targets butts have Bout 9 small dots about 2".   It is easy to shoot a different dot with each arrow!  There are targets at 10, 20, 30, and 40 yards, and a separate 50 & 60 yard practice range.  I can usually stay close to The dot I am aiming for at 10 yards, 20 is another matter, but I hit the Butts every shot (SH) (lol)!  More and correct practice is needed!  Shoot, chase, shoot, chase takes the fun out for me,  that's why I got more darts for my atlatl! (AT).  One dot, one arrow should work!  Have fun, hunting season is less than 2 months off!
Hawkdancer

No shooting ordinance!!! WTF those monsters!  >:D
Offgrid mtn living

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2018, 04:49:42 am »
What bow are you using? Did you make it? How is its cast? I ask because if you made it, maybe it doesn't have as good of cast and the arrow is loosing Kinetic energy fast after 15 yards. Its a common thing for new bowyers to experience.

I once went to a local primitive event. I apparently knew a lot more about archery than they did. They were shooting a target that was 6 layers of cardboard or something like that. I shot three arrows before I realized the first two stopped half way down the fletching and the third went clean through the target. I realized then they were still learning about making bows that cast well.  ;)
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

Offline burtonridr

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2018, 09:23:37 am »
What bow are you using? Did you make it? How is its cast? I ask because if you made it, maybe it doesn't have as good of cast and the arrow is loosing Kinetic energy fast after 15 yards. Its a common thing for new bowyers to experience.

I once went to a local primitive event. I apparently knew a lot more about archery than they did. They were shooting a target that was 6 layers of cardboard or something like that. I shot three arrows before I realized the first two stopped half way down the fletching and the third went clean through the target. I realized then they were still learning about making bows that cast well.  ;)

+1 and it might not be the bow, but the string, or the arrows. I just recently made a 10 strand bow string out of braded fishing line. I had been using 36# mason line, the new string made a HUGE difference, I mean like night and day. The mason line stretches and its heavy, the bow just couldn't fire the arrows very fast with that type of string. I had been using the 36# mason line for years. Just to give you an idea on how much it stretches, my new string is about 1" longer than the mason line. So it was stretching at least 1". I haven't measured this, but I would guess I'm getting about 2" more penetration into a new foam shooting block. That's a BIG difference.

Also, to tie this all back to the 5yd difference in shooting range. My arrows were doing the same thing as you described when I got out to 15-20yds. I had a tough time hitting the center of the target because the arrow would start dropping off fast. With the new string, now I'm having to re-learn my aiming point at that range because the arrows are now hitting above where I think I should aim. I'm talking about a 12" difference in drop between where the old string would put my arrows vs the new string at 20 yds.

Thinking about all this... I'm very interested to see what a new string will do for my little paddle bow  >:D
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 09:26:42 am by burtonridr »
Offgrid mtn living

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2018, 03:39:50 pm »
my string is made of power pro fishing line, and has no stretch, and is pretty light.  I think the cast is good--penetration seems really good.  If I had to guess (no chrono)  I would say between 150 and 170 fps.  When I miss, it isn't necessarily up and down, but left and right as well.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2018, 03:12:28 pm »
And if you can manage it, do some stump shooting from time to time.  Walk around and shoot arrows at clods of dirt, tufts of grass, pine cones, or whatever catches your eye. Randomize things as best you can from short "gimme" shots to the occasional "over the rainbow" long shots. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline RandyN

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2018, 10:31:46 am »
"When I miss, it isn't necessarily up and down, but left and right as well".
Left/Right misses is usually caused by grip issues. Gripping the bow to hard causes torque and throws the arrow off. Try to relax your grip and see if that makes a difference.