Author Topic: Mojam then and now  (Read 4450 times)

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Mojam then and now
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2018, 08:12:47 pm »
   We are still not sure what to base the award certificates on. 170 yards is a good shot for a self bow. 200 yards is world class, most of the shots at the salt flats are well under 200 yards that I have seen. I am thinking straight self bows 170 yards+ recurve self bows 180+  and composite bows 180 for straight and 190 for some curves. The committee will discuss this after a couple of days of shooting.. Never been done before so we are kind of shooting from the hip here.
I'm realling looking forward to the results …..Steve.  Please post any and all info on the results.  Wish I could make it this year.  I might have a bow or two that could compete....
Thanking you in advance for posting the results..
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2018, 11:27:20 pm »
Ooohh, Arvin!  Body slam! >:D (lol)!
Steve, I for one would like to see/learn the release technique!  Might help my shooting in general!  I'm not even sure of the best angle for release in flight shooting. (SH)
See you all next week!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2018, 11:19:56 pm »
the flight shoot was crazy fun and there were some great shots made...4 composite bows and 5 selfbows made shots over 200 yards!  I even shot one of the early MoJam selfbows made by Joe Mattingly and the old black locust bow shot 186 yards... it was amazing to see a 20 year old selfbow that is still slightly reflexed and has tiny tips... 
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline sleek

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2018, 01:42:53 am »
202-205-203-207-190-196 could be some shots. Just guessing. But I think 218 will win it. How's that for going out on a limb! I'm in see y'all there. Arron I am pretty sure your right on the 27" draw. 50@27  equals 500 gr. Arrow 27" back of point to throat of knock. That's the way I read the rules. Arvin

Arvin, remind me to never bet against you! The bow you gave me, you shot 202, 204, i shot 196 with my bow,  and i dont recall the winning shot but i vet you do!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2018, 10:06:01 am »
Congratulations to the winners, Bob and Arvin". That was an experience.  I will have to make up a set of flight arrows and get out to the grasslands to practice!  There were a lot of surprising shots made!  It will be interesting to see the results by bow weight.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2018, 02:12:28 pm »
Well i shot two pyramid bows. One was 62.8# @28 with 625 gr arrow 217.5 was the distance within 10-12 inches. The other bow was 42.8 @28 with 450 gr. arrow 217 yds was the distance. So I guess I got better distance with the heavier gr. per pound. The 62 # bow took some set the 42# bow took almost none. The set could have made the difference. Interesting how close the two bows were. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2018, 09:02:16 am »
I imagine in time Steve will post the results of the shoot.It'll take a little time.Many did not state their distance.Steve could correct me here.A sneak preview here from what I remember for myself.I shot 6 of my bows there.4 self and 2 composites.Self bows made of 2 osage/KCT/and winged elm.All my usual parallel width lever tipped type bows.All well seasoned shot in bows with 1000's of shots through them.Anywhere from 2 to 4 years old.I did not make a special new bow for the event.Next year I more than likely will.These shot from 195 to 203+ yds yet.
The composites were made of sinew/hickory/and horn.Made some time ago.One composite shot around 205+ yds.The other shot 214 yds and 2'.The later bow I've shot better with but not at this event anyway.All bows ranged in poundage from 44 pounds to 47 pounds.
I made 18 barreled and tapered broadhead DF arrows spined appropriately ranging from 455 grains to 477 grains and spined the same and used them according to match the poundage of the bow at 28" to be 10 gpp when shot.
A number [I don't know how many exactly] of fellas' bows highlighted here shot over 200 yds and then some into the teens like Arvins',Steves'Scotts',and Aarons' bows with their self bows that I recall.Aarons' bow was a hickory and the rest osage.All bows made just prior to the flight shoot for this purpose.Bobs' figures are probably right too on those over 200 yds.Steve says that's world class shooting according to what's shot at the salt flats or at least a higher number of participation of shooters anyway.
A 180 to 190 yd shot is still a heck of a shot too.There's a lot of excellent bow makers out there.It was fun seeing the anticipation of the shooters after shooting.Many had different releases which could make a difference in distance also.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 07:05:52 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Badger

« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2018, 09:13:48 am »
   Ed, when I got back home the bottom had fallen out of my little world. A few more days I should be able to get back on this. In the mean time could everyone who shot 190 plus yards please send me a message or e email with the particulars about their bows. Most of it I have memorized but I know I would leave someone out. The registration sheets were not filled out in most cases but as I said I do remember most all of the long shots. 

Offline bushboy

« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2018, 09:16:09 am »
Very cool stuff!was there a bow design in particular that seemed to have a slight edge?those are very good results bowed from bows that where not exactly fresh!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2018, 09:37:40 am »
Steve....Sorry to hear that.That's not exactly what you need right now.
bushboy....that's rather hard to say until all the results and info is stated.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Badger

« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2018, 12:48:13 pm »
Very cool stuff!was there a bow design in particular that seemed to have a slight edge?those are very good results bowed from bows that where not exactly fresh!

I shot a bow by Bob Barns that was 11 years old and got 211 yards. He uses the bow all the time.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2018, 01:36:30 pm »
Very cool report particularly hearing about the well shot in bows doing so well, that impresses me because well shot in bows that performs like listed are truly a mark of the men that made them and in the spirt of durable hunting bows congrats to the winners ! I'm realy going to try to make it next year !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2018, 02:38:50 pm »
Steve has always stressed this point about execution of design and durability with any kind of wood used.Backed bows shot broken in seem to hold up better over time not being fresh more so than self bows.Arvin was a big help in the process here setting and staking up the range.Another mathametcian teacher fella was helpful figuring shooters shots' distance also.Seems we all had to go back to school to get the distances close to right....lol.Help did occur for us and are grateful for that.
I watched Bob shoot at the range at night.A deer at 20 yards is in trouble in his area.I think I might loose my shorts shooting money tic tac toe against him,but it's only money right???
Just some things to mention here that stuck out in my mind too during the event.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 07:02:47 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed