Author Topic: Trade Gun Project  (Read 1438 times)

Offline Parnell

Re: Trade Gun Project
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2018, 05:40:44 pm »
Read that a dry erase marker works as a substitute for blackening.  It did the job much more easily and comes off neatly.  The barrel is marking fully on the stock now, so, on to the tang.  I have some decisions to make with the length.  If cut for a 2 length, the current precarved design wont nearly provide enough space for a beaver tail carve that will look right.  So, 1 7/16 precarved design, or, extend it out to 2 and simplify the carving surrounding the tang.
1>1
(:::.)

Offline Parnell

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2018, 03:46:28 pm »
Ive been moving forward.  Taking care to fit the barrel and breech plug right.  I removed slightly too much right under the breech but its minimal and a thin shin of maple does the trick to correct it.  I was a little unsure of hammering the tang down but found an appropriate soft mallet and it came together.  My next big step will be the underlugs.  Ive been watching a fusil-de-chase buildalong on the tube that has been very helpful.  Also, just putting in time sanding the pieces clean.  Here is where it lies...
1>1
(:::.)

Offline chamookman

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2018, 10:53:23 pm »
Lookin good ! Trade Guns are the Bomb  :OK :-M - Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.