Author Topic: Snakey Indiana osage  (Read 11985 times)

Offline ohma2

Re: Snakey Indiana osage
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2019, 04:43:36 pm »
Ed thats a single piece of wood just to heavy for me to draw anymore.it will go to  grandson pretty  soon.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2019, 05:21:26 pm »
Ritch....I know you do from the bows I've seen you make..
omha2....That's cool.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2019, 06:23:37 pm »
I got faith in ya Ed. I think you're wise to go with a slight D/R profile. Keep us posted for sure!  :BB
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2019, 06:27:40 pm »
Is that a wise A$$ or a wiseman....Ha Ha.I should have the resting profile ready for tillering done sometime tomorrow.Tip alignment is being a pain.
You did a great job on your latest snake bow.It looked like it took very little set.Kinda sweet bracing it up for the first time was'nt it.I'm not to that point yet with this one but will get there.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 08:28:41 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2019, 10:45:11 pm »
Well it took to almost midnight but I think I can let this stick rest a while.This stave seemed to have some overall sideways bowed bend to it kinda that took more time getting string alignment close to correct.Really what happened I think is that I aligned the tips before putting in reflex.Even though I knew it could shift reheating and I had it clamped good while inducing reflex the tip alignment shifted yet while heating in reflex.I'll file some string grooves and start bending on the long string/then to brace to see what's up after letting wood rehydrate a bit!!!
A slight deflex with reflex.

Tip alignment is close.Top limb in fore ground or on the right side.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 01:29:42 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2019, 04:14:02 am »
Looks great Ed at least I know Im not the only one that works on bows in the middle of the night...Ha!Ha!  Ed did you use a half caul to get that profile ? That looks like a perfect amount for that bow , are you anticipating more deflex with set ? sorry for all the questions but it interest me ?
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2019, 04:28:05 am »
Looking good Ed, I love those wiggly ones

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2019, 04:55:42 am »
oh my, that's gonna be a looker for sure!

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2019, 07:04:29 am »
This is good stuff.  The curves from the middle are almost symmetrical.  It looks really cool.  I like the profile  (-P

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2019, 08:20:55 am »
It's a unique piece wood.Thanks to Clint for acquiring it.I had to revise my half form caul or make it wider to accomodate the wiggles.
I won't truly know diddly till I get it to brace.
It's funny how there can be so many highlites in construction that are rewarding.The list is long for sure.Probably why bow making can be so addictive.Every bow being unique in it's own way.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2019, 07:01:59 am »
I'm tuned in Ed. Looking good.
Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2019, 07:27:48 am »
Will look forward to seeing it in early March!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2019, 07:35:29 am »
Gonna be a cool bow, Ed.  8)   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2019, 09:04:23 am »
Well fellas I'll give it a whirl.No big expectations here but just to make a servicable bow that holds up and shoots nice.I have some suspected spots already that I think could derail my efforts.I'll see.It does'nt have a string on it yet so technically it's still just a thin walking stick or maybe a cattle sorting stick....Ha Ha.
I did'nt know you were into snaky bows Arvin.
I should have it done by March I would think....Ha Ha.There's a 3D shoot I'll go to with these buddies here in the middle of feb to help get it all tuned and shot in good.
BowEd
Ed

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2019, 02:19:00 pm »
Like I said Ed, I've got faith in ya. But if it doesn't end up a bow, I expect to see some pics of it in use as a cattle sorting stick.  (-P  :D
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb