Author Topic: Snakey Indiana osage  (Read 11998 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Snakey Indiana osage
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2019, 04:57:08 pm »
Ha Ha...Your a funny fella!!I'll make sure there's plenty of manure on it then.It might not be log enough for a cattle sorter by then....Ha Ha.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 06:15:15 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2019, 02:54:03 pm »
Well after getting the limbs balanced from a negative tiller removing material from inner top limb and narrowing it earlier because of bad wood it was only pulling 33 or 34 pounds at 27".I pulled it to 28" and it went tick at a little over 35 pounds.I examined it.A crack at the fade of upper limb.Even piking it up to 45 pounds would take 2" off each limb.If it ticked being 66" long it probably would go ka bang at 62" long.Oh well.Sorry.I'll move on to a different bow.
I'll remove the nice horn overlays I glued on for a different bow.Reflecting I probably should of heated more deflex into top limb instead of removing material to balance the limbs better.

BowEd
Ed

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2019, 02:56:00 pm »
reflecting is a wonderful thing,, :)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2019, 03:30:40 pm »
That stinks Ed.  I thought for sure you would coax a bow out of that stick.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2019, 04:10:00 pm »
It had a nice rounded tiller from the starting profile.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2019, 08:28:02 pm »
Bummer ed
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2019, 09:05:06 pm »
Yea I guess even though it had a good rounded profile draw from the kind of profile it was I probably should of got it working more in the outer limbs.It worked too much on that inner limb.I blew it!!!...Sorry Clint!!!Even so when a bow comes in so light like that I move on.Not taking anything away from the wood any just what turned out.
It's just wood remember that boys and girls.It grows on trees...Not like money though....Ha Ha.I'm lucky enough to live in good bow wood country.
I do have bows here I made back when I was'nt on this forum and hav'nt shown so no pics of them.I'm sure many do out there.I've seen people show bows they made long ago just to show a bow I guess.I could do that on a different topic thread then.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 06:45:18 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline RandyN

« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2019, 10:07:06 am »
Ed,
Sorry to hear about your bow. For some reason I am not able to see the last pics you posted. Any chance you would take some pics of the problem areas on the bow and post them? I have an image in my mind of what might have gone wrong but I would rather see the bow so that I would be better prepared to handle that situation when I run into it in the future. I think it would be a great learning opportunity for us new guys. Thank you for the consideration.
Randy

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2019, 10:12:58 am »
Yup just wood Ed. Was looking forward to seeing it all finished up but not finished off. Always another project to take its place.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2019, 10:39:23 am »
That's right BJ.
RandyN....It's about like I stated.I'm using imgur for a transfer of pictures and I can see the pics here.After removing a strip of wood having a bad spot on it the bow came in too light really to suit me.The crack in the fade is what it is.Not working enough on outer limbs to reduce stain on inner limbs.With a slight deflex and the reflex with tips above back of handle a rounded type tiller is best for those.If deflex is more pronounced with reflex above tips a more angular look is needed then.
BTW...Never did see follow up on your bore hole on your previous showing of a bow made.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 10:59:25 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline RandyN

« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2019, 10:57:48 am »
Ed,,
Thanks for the info.
The bore hole is no problem. It was small but it went from the back to the belly on an angle. Once I put the rawhide on the back and started scrapping the belly, the hole filled with the fine shavings. I am packing them into the hole with a small pick, as I go. I will then put superglue in the hole before finishing. The reason I say the bore hole is not a problem is, we have been shooting it at 24" draw. I still need to lengthen the draw a bit and decrease the draw weight for the new draw length. She is holding firm, 60 lbs @ 24".
I will take pics when she is all finished.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2019, 11:06:08 am »
That's good to hear about your bow but you would'nt get me trusting a bow with a bore hole on the back of the working section of a limb.Even with rawhide.The angle of the hole clean through does'nt matter.Been around this too long to.24" draw on a bendy handle 64" to me is the only reason it's still alive.You've done a great job getting it as far as you did.Good luck pulling it out to 28".
BowEd
Ed

Offline RandyN

« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2019, 01:19:30 pm »
Thanks. I'll keep you posted.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2019, 03:38:06 pm »
RandyN...You can post me till the cows come home and 500 arrows later I still would never trust it.I'm gonna cut through all the polite insidious BS here.If you have a personal beef with me bring it off line.I'd be more than happy to discuss it.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 04:57:41 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2019, 07:12:34 pm »
BJ said it well, it's just wood.

Ed, I remember when you sent me a beautiful BL stave and I failed at making a static out of it. It was a comfort though, knowing that you understood that things don't always work out with this pastime of ours. I'm sure the Outlaw understands as well.  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb