Author Topic: Osage plains bow (No.104)  (Read 10816 times)

Offline Bayou Ben

Re: Osage plains bow (No.104)
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2018, 10:00:38 am »
That's one heck of a bow.  Beauty in its simplest form.  Always shocked at how thin/small your handles turn out.  Never tried a bendy, but I imagine it's quite an art to make sure that area isn't bending too much.  Inspiring work.   

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2018, 10:31:32 am »
Stunning work again Simson! Why do some of your bows have numbers and some don't? Cheers

All my bows here and on my website have numbers, just to make it easier to find. besides are a lot more bows which are not yet or never posted.
I like more to build bows than to make pics, texting, computing and so on ...

That's one heck of a bow.  Beauty in its simplest form.  Always shocked at how thin/small your handles turn out.  Never tried a bendy, but I imagine it's quite an art to make sure that area isn't bending too much.  Inspiring work.   

Ben, let the handle and fade area first stiff  -  do that in the end stadium of tillering. Let it not so much bend than the entire limb, or in other words don't go for the exact circle, more for a shallow ellipse. This prevents hand shock.

Thanks guys for your nice comments and compliments - it's only a little stick ...
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2018, 08:13:14 pm »
Not sure we can call this a plains style bow with all the Simson style in this bow ;).  Always love to see your work of creative efficiency.

Offline ntvbowyer1969

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2018, 09:11:22 am »
Great short bow! Great bend,color, and i am liking that hole tip. The tiller is spot on.

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2018, 06:02:45 am »
Absolute poetry Simon.  :)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2018, 08:34:59 am »
Nice work

Offline Thunderlizard

« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2018, 10:23:29 am »
Lizard,
I'm pretty sure it can be done, in that manner I did. As the string (around the tips) prevent the wood from splitting. The horizontal string at the belly prevent the cutting in. Drill a hole with a diameter just to fit the string, sand out carefully and round the edges of the hole.

I wouldn't do it with soft wood like yew, eastern red cedar, juniper.

edit:
Just remember, I have seen African bows (long bows, not short San bows) with a drilled hole in one tip. But the string is only secured by a big knot on the back.

Just got back to this after looking at BOTM. Thanks for the response, and as always, for sharing your knowledge and experience as bowyer!