Author Topic: Flight shoot dates for the salt flats  (Read 17841 times)

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
Re: Flight shoot dates for the salt flats
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2018, 02:37:00 pm »
Thanks

Offline avcase

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2018, 03:36:56 pm »
We dropped the fletching size requirements because it added complexity to the rules, was inconsistent between bow types, and often required that an archer refletch their regular hunting arrows just so they could compete. In other words, the fletching size rules didn’t make a better competition so it was dropped. Besides, fletching size is self regulating because too small, and the arrow Flight suffers. Too big, and there is excessive drag on the arrow.  Just like regular hunting arrows, each Broadhead Flight setup is up to the archer to optimize for performance.

Alan

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2018, 07:54:03 am »
Anyone here yet? I am at KOA campground. Will check the flats to see if anyone is out there yet.  Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline avcase

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2018, 01:21:23 pm »
They should be arriving soon!

I had car trouble yesterday and needed a tow back home, so I won’t be there until Thursday morning. :(

See you soon!

Alan

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2018, 09:30:31 am »
I expect I'll learn a lot from you all on sunday. Maybe next year if I have the time I'll try the regular flight shoot too.

Question on primitive finishes. Right now my bows are treated with bear grease. I would think shellac, linseed, and tung oil would also be allowed? 

Offline avcase

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2018, 10:50:37 am »
Any natural finishes and glues are encouraged, but there won’t be an issue using modern glues or finishes unless it is done to such an extreme that it changes the character of the bow.  For example, wood or other natural material impregnated with a synthetic resin would not be allowed.  Natural material strings are required too. I always have an ample supply of silk and quality linen to help anyone who needs such a string.

Alan

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2018, 10:39:14 pm »
Thanks again Alan. I will be picking up some of your string material but this year I'll be using my fastest elk sinew strings.

Offline avcase

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2018, 12:29:17 am »
Elk sinew string = very cool!  I’d love to see how that works. I haven’t ventured into sinew string making yet. I bet it is a lot of work!

Alan

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2018, 10:51:49 am »
Have a great shoot, everybody!  Sounds like maybe a cool front will be coming through for the weekend.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2018, 07:34:19 pm »
where will results be posted?
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Badger

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2018, 01:02:27 pm »
  Arvin got my 50# self bow broadhead record by a couple of feet. Chuck loffler showed up and established himself as true contender with some world class shots. The overall results will be posted on facebook flight shooting page.soon and most likely here but I think here he leaves out the non primitive classes.

Offline avcase

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2018, 12:00:44 pm »
I will post results this evening. We just made it back home late last night and I am back at work today. I will put a full summary on here.

Alan

Offline Badger

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2018, 01:13:12 pm »
   Allen case got some shots off over a mile but didn't find some of his arrows. He is fast approaching Harry Drakes record. I predict 2 or 3 more years but wouldn't be surprised if it was this year.

Offline avcase

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2018, 11:08:17 pm »
Steve,
Thanks for your vote of confidence!  I don’t know if I can live up to it, but enjoy the journey trying. I sure lostalot of good arrows in the soft soil this time out.