Author Topic: Simple hunting set "Wicahcala Kin Itazipa Ehake"  (Read 23219 times)

Offline TimBo

Re: Simple hunting set "Wicahcala Kin Itazipa Ehake"
« Reply #120 on: September 26, 2018, 07:07:41 am »
Thank you sir - those photos and your description help a lot!  I think I've got it now...time to go cut some rawhide.

Offline half eye

« Reply #121 on: September 26, 2018, 09:15:28 am »
Thanks everybody for the kind words. Gutshot, I hope your surgery went well and you are on the mend sir.
rich

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #122 on: September 27, 2018, 06:14:09 am »
Rich,
          I would love to see the war arrows if you haven't sent it all off yet...
                                                                                                              Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #123 on: October 01, 2018, 06:29:04 pm »
Learned a lot from you over the years on PA and always enjoyed seeing your craftsmanship.  This bow and set is a great piece of living artwork.

Offline half eye

« Reply #124 on: October 02, 2018, 03:12:54 pm »
Thank you Peacebow_Coos much appreciated
Don, decide not to make the real arrows ....but did make examples to be used as visual aids for a school program.

Here are the pics. First are the 4 major fletching styles from Eastern tribes. The first pic...left to right Eastern split shaft (one feather in a split shaft) next Eastern woodland two fletch next 2 fletch glued and tied cut lower than the folded full feather two fletch and finally Eastern woodland three fletch glued and tied. There are of course variations of these four but you can consider this "the basic food groups"

The arrow heads show two types of "war heads" and the flint hunting head. Here is the scoop on the diference......a hunting head is built to do everything possible to kill quickly  the war heads on the other hand are made to kill positively but slowly, generally through septicemia. Notice that the war heads are partially blunt...only want them in 3-5 inches....then got a big problem. The arrows are to blunt to push through, and if you try to withdraw them they leave the nasty behind. In one case it's fine toxic slivers (usually these are made from cedar, tamarack etc  there resins are real bad inside your body.......now for the turtle claw, the front of the shaft is first cut to form a pair of connected cylinders, that is "grooved" so that the turtle claw has a sort of "nest" where it is tied with very fine sinew using the cut shoulder as the tie point. This arrow is too blunt to completely penetrate the body  and the claw fish-hooks the fine sinew gets wet from warm blood and softens very quickly but again that is not necessary....it cant be pushed through and trying to withdraw it the turtle claw and sinew are left behind to fester. The sinew and the skin end of the claw are particularly toxic because of inherent bacteria.
    The last thing I got say here is this....before you feel sorry for the French, Yanks, and Brits....both the Brits and Americans unleashed "presents" to the Chippewa and Ottawa that contained small pox which killed a large percentage of the population and that's Men / women / and children. They did that purposely and on two separate occasions These arrows were made to make a statement.
 Enjoy the pics....and let this thing go away
rich

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #125 on: October 02, 2018, 06:39:19 pm »
I hope Rich doesn't mind if I sing his praises a little...

As many of you know, the sheer volume of knowledge this man possesses is mind-boggling. I've had the pleasure of speaking with him some over the phone and not only does he know precisely how Native tribes used the natural materials they had on hand to make tools, weapons, ect, and how to reproduce them, he fully understands the history behind how and why these technologies were put to use.

Rich, you have enabled me to teach history in a way every student in America deserves to be taught- by seeing, holding, touching, smelling, and wholly experiencing artifacts that tell stories of how man lived deeply within nature. A way of life that is falling into oblivion more and more each day.

Thank you many, many times over my friend.  )P(
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #126 on: October 03, 2018, 06:17:30 am »
  Rich,
            Awesome work...I wouldn't want to receive a wound from any of those arrows...I give myself about 3 days max?  That turtle claw we have discussed many times...Excellent presentation Sir...Thanks for going the extra mile on this thread, I have really enjoyed the ride bud...
                                                     Don

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;