Author Topic: Simple hunting set "Wicahcala Kin Itazipa Ehake"  (Read 23357 times)

Offline GlisGlis

Re: Simple hunting set "Wicahcala Kin Itazipa Ehake"
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2018, 09:11:30 am »
it may be the silliest thought but I often think in amazement how a man can combine different materials
who would have tough that that reptile, a living gator swimming in a swamp would have joined a canebreaks and a whitetail  and some wood (and Rich) to produce such a beauty?
I can almost see the line of their lives move in space and time to meet their final fate
ok ok time for me to get my pills again  :D

awesome bow. love that gator handle  :OK

Offline M2A

« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2018, 09:39:32 pm »
Excellent work sir. So nice seeing all these pieces come together. Looking forward to the rest. Mike

Offline half eye

« Reply #77 on: September 20, 2018, 04:49:56 pm »
Thank you all for the very nice comments.

Spent most of the day with my wife in the local hospital, but did manage to start on the bow string. Started with a 10" circle of whitetail rawhide. This was just like the other cordage I showed before. I did scrbe each circle cut at 3/8" all the way around and repeated this until I had about 12 feet of 3/8" strap and a roughly 3" circle left in the center. Next I tied the rawhide to a nail at the mid-point of the strap.
    Next you want to place the two straps one on top of the other and give a few twists....continue down the strap to the other end making sure you maintain both straps flat and even to each other. When ya get to the end tie a knot (double over-hand and work the knot tight) I use this knot to hold a spring clamp at the end without sliding off.
   Since the rawhide is slippery this clamp helps this old one hander to keep tension on the line and continue to twist.....the most important reason is that the clamp can be fastened down (so the cord cant "unwind") and I can keep the tension AND still use the good hand to work the string. By work the string I mean use your hand to grab the sting and squeeze the string as you work it back and forth. This helps even out the wraps, the diameter, and trains the cord to be what ya expect out of it. You repeat this "pull,twist and rub" until you are at the diameter you want, the twists as even as possible, and good tension on the string. The string wrings water out as you twist it and the rubbing down spreads this liquid out evenly. If you think about it this liquid is actually "hide glue".
    When you think you are where ya want to be ya got one more job. With the string all twisted and good tension on it, get your hands wet and shake 'em off then put the string between your palms press pretty hard together and roll the string back and forth ...repeat this progressively down the entire string. The reason for slightly wet hands is by now the string will actually be getting "sticky". Now just keep your eye on it for a few hours and it needs to get rolled again etc. ya can continue to do it. Once the string is barely damp it wont change much any more.
   Two sets of pics, hope I took enough maybe not, please if any questions make sure to ask.
rich

Offline half eye

« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2018, 04:50:59 pm »
next set

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2018, 07:11:28 pm »
 Rich,
          Thanks for the build along...You make a fine string, I can attest to that...I have one you sent me on my Ocean Spray in the upper 50's, and the only wear showing on the string is where it polished itself on the inside against the pin nocks...Been shot over 1000 times easily practicing for the upcoming season...
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline ohma2

« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2018, 08:35:32 am »
Never used a rawhide string ,do they stop streching after a while ? What is the diameter of it?
You have made a beautifull set sir, museum quality for sure allthough i hope they are used and not confined to a display case.if you ever get the bug show us another of your scallopped bows they are beautifull.

Offline half eye

« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2018, 01:25:50 pm »
Ohma2....the dried rawhide does not stretch (when dried) think in terms of a drum head. Usually the only issue with a heavyweight bow is the string will tighten up the knots, loop and half hitches, and usually that can be dealt with by adding a twist or two ....or retie the bowyers knot and retie shorter.

I gave away all of my NA bows with the vast majority going to members that WOULD use them, that's what they are for. Take a look at Mr. Burchett's posts  he and others can attest to the effectiveness of the equipment. I'm attaching a photo of the string diameter....now I have to scrub the "high-tech" off my string ::).

Most probably not going to be anymore bows,
rich

Offline Morgan

« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2018, 01:46:26 pm »
Very much so enjoying this thread. I have an elm sapling destined to become a Cherokee style bow, it will be strung with a string like this because you shared how to do it.
Thank you.

Offline half eye

« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2018, 02:11:00 pm »
Thanks Morgan....ya made my whole day sir....
rich

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2018, 06:17:57 pm »
I've never seen a string like that. It's awesome. Is that a technique used by native tribes somewhere in North America? Thanks so much for showing us how you do it!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2018, 07:21:24 pm »
really a great job showing by a master, thanks a lot!

Offline TimBo

« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2018, 08:53:13 pm »
Thanks for showing the rawhide string technique - that sounds like something I need to try!  Did you cut it into the 3/8" width because of the high draw weight, or is that a standard size?

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #87 on: September 21, 2018, 09:03:12 pm »
Lookin good Rich

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2018, 05:58:13 am »
Never used a rawhide string ,do they stop streching after a while ? What is the diameter of it?
You have made a beautifull set sir, museum quality for sure allthough i hope they are used and not confined to a display case.if you ever get the bug show us another of your scallopped bows they are beautifull.

ohma2,  These rawhide strings that Rich makes are top notch hand cut and hand stretched...Mine are well used, I own 4 rawhide strings that Rich sent...They are tough as nails...Here's a link to a bow that has one of his strings http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,63412.0.html  1000+ shots and still shooting on the original string in the post...No need for string silencers with rawhide, it's by far the quietest material I have shot...They do finally settle in after some careful adjustments...Realize they are twisted and not under the strain a bow would put on them...The first stringing will move on you visually until the twist tightens...After a few shots you may need a few twists to settle your brace height...These are primitive strings and need to be adjusted accordingly...I use pine pitch, bees wax and tallow mixture to keep moisture away and help with conditioning...Mine are safe in the rain
                                                                                                                                Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline half eye

« Reply #89 on: September 23, 2018, 02:38:27 pm »
Hey Fellas,
     Got the strings and bow sealed with my spruce-goo. Before mounting the rawhide string I thought I needed to know the weight range of this bow. I made up a artificial sinew string and got her braced.
The only scale I still have is a 55#'r. so I tied the scale to the porch rail hooked the bow string to her and yanked it on back.....well to 55# that is. This little girl hit 54# at 14" of draw. so at 25" it is going to be above 80#. Here is how I figured that.....I have 54# at 14" which gives me another 11 inches to go so if it gains 2# / inch you have to add 22#...if it gains 2.5# you have to add 27# so I'm calling it between 75 and 81# @ 25.
     I had something happen that has never got me before. I braced it up and was pulling it on the floor and damned if did not pull the string into the knock shoulder hard enough to start a crack. attached pics for you to see. After gluing and clamping the split, I will put rawhide wrapping on @ tip to put an end to that nonsense. It will probably be tomorrow and I can takes pics of the repair and a braced up pic.  I have never had the string damage a limb before, but now I see the reason some NA bows have sinew/rawhide reinforced limb tips.
    Sorry for the delay fellas but we'll catch up and get this rig ready to send out to Joe for a "proper work-out.
rich