Author Topic: Horn bow newb  (Read 12587 times)

Offline Jakesnyder

Horn bow newb
« on: September 16, 2018, 12:46:30 pm »
     I have been fascinated with these composite bows. Just wondering how I get started in making one? I've been looking at horns online to buy. Does it matter what animals they are from? Buffalo or antalope or sheep?
     I'm an intermediate Bowyer at selfbows, short bows and have made a couple sinew backed bows. 
     So if someone can help me get started. Should I start with a wood horn and sinew composite or just horn and sinew?

Offline Jakesnyder

Re: Horn bow newb
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 03:36:00 pm »
I found some buffalo semi polished horns for like $30 a piece. They are 22in long. Also I live inwestern pa. My sinew backed bows shoot just fine so I'm guessing humidity wont be a problem? .

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 02:13:36 am »
The thing that stalled my horn bow build was finding perfect wood for the core, so, sourcing the core wood might be the next step; if you can't find any then that might help you decide on horn and sinew or wood/horn/sinew...

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 04:22:08 am »
So what would be a good core wood? Is there certain types of horn that are better than others? Why would one add a wood core? More power? Is just horn and sinew ok?

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 04:39:47 am »
Ithink it has something to do with the wood core adding a lot of draw weight by raising the neutral planes without adding all that much weight.

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 05:13:52 am »
Will bamboo make a good core? Anyone use buffalo horn?

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 03:23:19 pm »
I started one about 5 bows back but devoleped a fetish for angular bows , but a good source for info is Adam Korpowicz , Turkish Ottoman bows it's a top notch book I have read it at least 5 times and planing on reading it again very detailed , but my choice of horn is water buffolow & core is sugar maple , but BowEd on here has used gemsbok horn with great success I would stay away from any processed or polished horn , I would highly recomend the above book it covers every thing on these bows in great detail !  You guys are making me want to get back to it...lol
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 03:55:41 pm »
Where can I get some horn? Does anyone know of anywhere I can get some?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 11:05:58 pm »
James Parker, Huntworthy Products is a sponsor and has everything you need to make a horn composite bow. James has made just about any style you can think of.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 07:53:45 am »
I picked up some semi processed WB slats from James a while back I dont know if he is still doing them I also picked up some raw un processed WB slats out of China off the big auction site longer ones are getting harder to come by but found some, I have 2 more other bows to finish up but planning on getting back to this build this winter ! Gemsbok horn is easier to find long horns !

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 07:54:26 am »
Horn

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2018, 08:12:31 am »
I'm wanting to start with native american style. I have one of Jim hamm's book where he describes a 1 in wide handle fading to 3/4in nocks. Does anyone know of some books describing the process for na style bows

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2018, 10:51:58 am »
The only book I have seen any coverage of that type bow is Reginald Laubins book Native American Archery and its not supper detailed in build info but interesting read there used to be a guy around here that made severale of them but havent seen him post in a while.

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2018, 05:48:31 pm »
Does hickory make a good core?

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2018, 03:24:06 am »
Yep go to the threads below Bowed or Beadman has made 6 ot 7 I lost count...lol out of hickory I prefer maple in all lam bows with three or more lams , he also has some great hands on formulas for sinew & horn draw weight all bows draw weight  are a sum of the thickness , width ,taper, length and reflex of the limbs for given materials you could probably figure out your native bow with his formulas but like said Adams book is really a great place to start, I use it for other style bows too , with any bow of different materials the first is always guess work just part of the game !
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 08:58:36 am by Stick Bender »