Author Topic: load of fence post  (Read 25752 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

load of fence post
« on: October 20, 2018, 01:11:19 pm »
my friend Randy went to a ranch in New Mexico to get these, they had come from Texas and were to be re used, but were not for some reason,, I thought they looked very old,, as they had been in the ground a long time in Texas, ,then lay on the ground in New Mexico for who knows how long,, I think the wood is well aged,, :),, and hope to see some staves and billets out of those soon,,
what a find,, (SH) hope I can buy one,, (lol) the trailer is 8 feet

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: load of fence post
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 03:36:55 pm »
There is gonna be some great bows with character in that pile of fence posts.  :OK  You'll be surprised how hard that wood is.  (A)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 06:52:12 pm »
Nice find. I hope we get to see what those post are turned into. Like Pat said, there's going to be some serious character in those staves.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline gfugal

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 09:18:11 pm »
What wood are they?
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 09:20:33 pm »
Those look pretty crispy.  I hope you are able to find some solid wood in there.  If it's checked to bad for bows you can make some cool bow racks out of it.  I used an old black locust fence rail for a bow rack.  I took a draw knife and removed the grey wood until I got to the nice brown color with the black cracks all through it. 

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline gfugal

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 09:22:32 pm »
If those are usable, It makes me wonder if burnt Juniper from a fire could work.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 10:06:24 pm »
If it is not too badly burnt, there should be some good wood under the charring.  Depends on how fast the fire went through, and whether or not foam was used.  I think a slow moving fire would leave less good wood behind.  Maybe a lot of nice charcoal, though!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Stoner

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2018, 10:10:19 pm »
I  picked up some about a year ago in southern Oklahoma. I looked at them for yard art then decided to cut them up for fire wood. when the saw barley cut those son of a guns I realized how solid they where. I have one left and am thinking about trying a bow and if not a bow rack. John

Offline ohma2

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2018, 08:46:57 am »
Brad when you go to work on one ,take us along for the ride.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2018, 09:21:30 am »
Cool.....Like said they can make bows.You got some length to work with and that's good.Longitudal drying cracks to work with.I'm sure in New Mexico they are as dry and hard as you can get.If not a bow they are useful for other projects too.Beautiful wood.You'll need to sharpen your draw knife Brad.They are tougher than all get out.You'll get a good workout.Some people make family name signs out of them too.They'll still last a lifetime for sure.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline RandyN

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2018, 01:59:44 pm »
Hey Guys...  Thanks Brad for starting this. I am Brad's friend that picked up the wood. Brad is my bow making mentor and my hunting partner. I have been able to try different bow making methods thanks to Brad's assistance.

I unloaded the posts this morning. They are solid, if the weight has anything to do with it.

Most of them are 8 footers with a few shorter. A couple appear to have very straight grain.

Due to the weight of the corner posts, I split one this morning before moving it. I need to learn how to post a picture so i can show you what I found when I split the post.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2018, 03:10:37 pm »
I'm guessing a golden yellow color hidden inside
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline RandyN

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2018, 03:13:12 pm »
I am having a bit of a problem getting the picture of the split loaded. let's see if this works.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2018, 03:15:04 pm »
Looking at the color I'd say that is very old osage. Gonna make some nice bows.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2018, 03:33:12 pm »
Should be interesting. Make sure you take lots of pictures as you go. I'm with ohma2. I'd like to see the transition from post to bow. (-P
Welcome to pa RandyN
PS that one reminds me of my "Walking Stick" stave. That horizontal limb your probably going to want to get behind and find some nice wood that goes around it.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise