Author Topic: load of fence post  (Read 25753 times)

Offline RandyN

Re: load of fence post
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2018, 03:39:32 pm »
I plan on taking a lot of pictures along the way. Maybe someone that has a chance to get old posts will take advantage of it and make some nice bows. They looked a  little intimidating when I first picked them up. After the first split, they look more like bows already. I hope I can do them justice.

Pat... Brad thinks they have been around for a long time. You can see were they were in the ground as a fence post. But not a lot of rot compared to other woods.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2018, 04:36:41 pm »
I hate to be a downer, but I don't see anything I'd try to make a bow out of... and yeah, I've made bows with osage so old I would have sworn it was petrified... to this day, still by FAR the hardest stuff I've ever used, and I've yet to see osage again of the same color. Just because it's old and weathered doesn't mean we can ignore the requisites we adhere to any other time. I guess what I'm saying is... not that there isn't maybe a bow in there somewhere... but good luck finding it.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2018, 07:07:13 pm »
It's not the destination, it's the journey.  8)
 Those staves are excellent wood and wood bow educators.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2018, 09:07:49 pm »
I think there is a bow in that pile somewhere,, maybe some billets,,maybe some bow racks,,etc,, it will be fun to split some and see,, probably alot more work to get it out,, than some staves, but a bow made from that stuff will really be nice,, and worth the effort

Offline Morgan

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2018, 12:40:08 am »
I think there is a bow in that pile somewhere,, maybe some billets,,maybe some bow racks,,etc,, it will be fun to split some and see,, probably alot more work to get it out,, than some staves, but a bow made from that stuff will really be nice,, and worth the effort
Well said. Looking forward to seeing the results!

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2018, 09:05:31 am »
Forgot to make a welcome aboard on my reply!  Looks like a goodly amount of usable wood, rustic art from old wood is a popular item, even if you can't get bow wood!  Waiting to see what you are able to do with it!  Keep your tools sharp!  Good luck!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline RandyN

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2018, 09:28:24 am »
Thanks for the positive input. Like Pat B says, "Its not the destination, it's the journey". I always tell my archery student if you say you can't do something, just means your not willing to try. If you don't try you never know what the outcome will be. I always learn something weather it is a shootable bow or not.

Thanks for all the welcome messages. I have followed this site for years and have learned a lot from you guys.

Offline RandyN

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2018, 06:37:49 pm »
I split one of the posts yesterday. Split it along a natural check in the wood. Gave me 2 equal staves. After looking at them I decided to split one in half again. Came out nice with 2 equal staves. This pic is of the staves before I split one of them a second time.

Offline RandyN

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2018, 06:39:24 pm »
I cut the bad end off the stave. It has some nice rings.

Offline RandyN

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2018, 06:42:44 pm »
I was excited to see the nice rings. Took a draw knife to see how far into the stave the weathered wood was. I only had to go down a couple rings to find a nice back. I am going to take another ring off for the back of the bow to be safe.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2018, 08:25:17 pm »
  :OK    gonna be a fun journey.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2018, 08:46:05 pm »
thats beautiful wood,,, (SH)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2018, 04:09:30 am »
I can see a bow in there. Congratulations thanks for the pictures. This is gonna be cool. Don't forget to show your fence post to who you got it from when it's shooting. Enjoying this . (-P
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline MattZA

• Formerly MattTheClueless
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2018, 04:23:40 am »
What an awesome collection of wood!

Please post updates on the journey, it's going to be fascinating to watch the progress.

Best of luck,
Matt
Unprofessional bowyer. Johannesburg, South Africa.

Offline Stoner

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2018, 03:45:44 pm »
That is just plain kool! Now I got the itch I gotta scratch. John