Author Topic: load of fence post  (Read 25278 times)

Offline Morgan

Re: load of fence post
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2018, 04:57:27 pm »
Now you just gotta wait forever for it to season lol ;D

Offline RandyN

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2018, 11:31:39 am »
Made some progress on the post today. I was able to get the ruff weathered gray wood off the back and down to a growth ring. Here's a closeup of the growth rings.

Offline RandyN

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2018, 11:35:44 am »
Not sure what order these pics will appear.
1. Picture of the full back. Still have a little touch up work to do.
2. A couple islands that I left proud around knots. Not sure they will play a role in the actual bow but figured better safe than sorry.
3. The stave on the right is the sister stave to the one I am working. That is after the 2nd split.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2018, 12:58:34 pm »
I will go with Osage outlaw on that pile.   Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2018, 04:13:36 pm »
Randy gave me a piece of post today,, I took off a few layers of wood,, and I think I see a bow,, now I have to decide if I want to make a shorter sinew bow,, or cut it down the middle and splice it together,,for a longer self bow,, I will sleep on it,, (-S

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2018, 06:43:44 pm »
I once made a bow from a piece that had been laying on the ground for at least 40 years. I think you guys can do it.  (-P
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2018, 06:58:37 pm »
Brad, it would be a shame to cover that beautiful wood with anything although I bet it would make a snappy sinew backed bow.  :-\
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2018, 09:00:13 pm »
Looks like there is more than one bow on that trailer!  Have fun and keep us posted!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline RandyN

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2018, 09:07:37 pm »
Brad,,You got thing down quick. Thats going to make a nice bow, whatever you decide. I am going to take a couple picots of my stave tomorrow and show everyone what you and I talked about doing to my stave. Stay tuned guys, looks like dueling stave happening here. This will be fun.

Offline RandyN

« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2018, 09:15:21 am »
Took some quick pics this morning so you can see what my stave is looking like. Brad, thanks for the help yesterday.

1. Shows the center line of the bow. Straight forward on the straight section of the stave.
2. A couple potential problem areas that we had to do a little more thinking about. Cut the stave off at the area with a knot on both sides for a shorter possibly sinew backed bow. Cut it off here, then cut down the middle of the straight part of the stave and make 2 billets, splice them together for a longer self bow. Or work around the problem and have a nice character bow. This one needed some thought.
3. Then we have the easier problem to deal with, the twist.

OK, its morning and I'm still not sure which way I want to go. I hate to waste the good wood and I like a challenge so I am thinking I will just start removing wood and shaping the bow. The wood will  let me know what the best choice will be.

Brad, your half is definitely the better/easier half.  Just kidding!!!   :

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2018, 11:05:10 am »
im gonna go down one more ring and get past some checks,, Pat you are right,, the wood is too pretty to cover up,, Ill just see how it goes,, I got so excited I drew a bow on Randys stave,, I think if he goes down one ring,, it will get rid of the the "ARt Work"
I am thinkingi of trying to splice on some extensions,, to get a bit more length,, I only draw 25 so its not too hard to get that,,

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2018, 11:39:10 am »
Very interesting stave you got there.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline RandyN

« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2018, 12:17:52 pm »
Decision made. Followed the grain around the knots on the side of the bow. Did a little rough out of what the bow will look like. Looking more like a bow than a post.

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2018, 01:11:17 pm »
Oh yes I like this threat! Awesome load of poles and really nice to see you guys make bows out of that gnarly stuff!  (-P

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2018, 03:30:44 pm »
Get that heat gun ready!  >:D
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb