Author Topic: Smag & Hedgehunter HHB 2018-19 Hunts  (Read 46043 times)

Offline HH~

Re: Smag & Hedgehunter HHB 2018 Hunts
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2018, 01:09:56 pm »
Processing.
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline RandyN

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2018, 10:37:02 am »
Congrats on a very successful year. Nice looking bow. Glad you realized the jinx early on and went back to your old faithful.  :)

Offline HH~

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2018, 02:22:50 pm »
Veterans day harvest. HHB 66" 44 @28" Same tree I took the first button. Saw 4-5 bucks and several birdy doe's. One deer came in but offered not shot, a young no typical 5X8 or 9. He had a crazy right horn. If he makes the rifle season he going to be a hella deer next season. I would not think twice about taking him with SB for my last Statewide buck.
Had to leave this old gal in tree overnite with my assault pack Blk & Tackle. No coyote damage but I bet they were looking. Her entrails were creekbound so they may not have even found her.

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2018, 02:42:51 pm »
Thats one helluva season
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2018, 04:28:47 pm »
Thats one helluva season

I'd have to agree with you Mike. How many is that now HH? I lost count. Be eating good this year.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline HH~

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2018, 04:41:57 pm »
Little luck don't hurt. The place I hunt is animal heavy. Have very high deer densities here in this part of Tenn. Last season was thread bare with selfbow for me. This year, seems like every few times I have it out I get lucky. My friend Ray and I boned her out and divied her up. Bones went to my friend down the way to freeze for dogs. We pressure canned 7 qts of meat for myself, Ray did a bunch at his house. We ground some burger mix and split the backstraps. Deer was dry doe and old I figgger. Not in the breeding pool any more. Either way everything from her tongue to her liver got used. Tail went in the fishing pile to be dyed later for rockfish jigs come April.

HH~

Offline HH~

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2018, 07:39:48 am »
Had the HHB out for a late season hunt. First deer I had come in was a nice 5x4 or 4x4 but he had other deer on his mind. Had a shot at a small deer after a series of low doe grunts early. Shot under the small Texas strain deer at 20yds. Eased out of the stand around midday into a big cedar stand. Hit a nice blood trail from the day before and followed it to an empty blooded bed. While on that track I found a nice drop. Nice December day of hunting in Tennessee.

Offline HH~

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2018, 06:51:03 am »
Went out on a Christmas Day stump shoot with the new bow. Still rubbing oil finish on and have a nice blue painters tape strike plate and shelf on. Killed some fine stumps.

HH~

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2018, 02:29:37 pm »
Nice bow and great hunts!  Got to find a place to get in a bow hunt as well as gun season next year!  We have a surplus of Hunters, and deer tags are draw only, generally limited to 1 tag.  Off to Nebraska, I guess!  I think they are a bit more liberal with deer tags for bow hunting!  Carry on!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2018, 06:46:51 am »
Nice bow HH. I went out with a bend through the handle I just got almost finished to. The deer are pretty nocturnal here now. They usually calm down a bit by now but still not seeing much. I do like the bow though and I'm thinking it might be my hunting bow for next year. It's always fun to give them a test hunt a season before. Usually find a few little things I tweak. Season is almost over here. Running out of time.
Bjrogg

Offline HH~

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2018, 04:04:45 pm »
Got time for hunting left for deer here in Tenn. I have had a tremendous Selfbow season. A good Recurve and ML season. When its all done i will have hunted about 75-80 days for deer. Low for me but its been a screwy weather year, wet and warm.

HH~

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2018, 06:55:59 am »
I would say so too HH.I did'nt keep exact track of the outings hunting here but it was a lot too.Feel thankful to have the opportunities I got.Thing is I should have more in the freezer if I count my misses....Ha Ha.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline HH~

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2018, 08:10:36 am »
Like I say all the time. Lots of things must go just right to harvest deer/elk with single string bows. Things must go almost perfect to do it with selfbows. If you look at all the things that can go wrong on the shooters end. Then look at the animal end and environmental factors it's just a hard deal. True as well, lots of guys grab a selfbow in the first month or so of the long season and hunt. Then,  not so much after that. I did hunt with recurve one day and got lucky. Felt strange shooting it for that one shot. Arrow went so fast I hardly saw it at all.
Like to get a nice spot and stalk hog here next month with this static. We'll see.

HH~

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2018, 08:46:15 am »
You got that right for sure HH. So many things that have to fall together and just one little thing of the many that can go wrong. I guess that's part of the reason it's so exciting. It probably helps to have a bit of success though. I might have a harder time sticking with it without knowing it isn't impossible. That's why I like to let people know it is possible. Sir you almost make it look easy. I know better though. That's a lot of time you put in hunting and I'm sure you put a bunch more into scouting and preparing for hunting to. It was more than just luck although it's always nice to have a bit of that to.
Congratulations again on a heck of a good season
Bjrogg

Offline HH~

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2018, 03:55:33 pm »
BJ
Yer right.. I dont use cameras, bait or any of that Jazz. I sit on a stool manys hours just as an observer. Know what food sources are getting hit, depleted, and the ground. I like just sitting with my binos and spot scope and my film case full of milk weed wind detector seeds. wish we had a late hunt here. Jan would be my 1st pick to hunt. Hope Tenn extends season thru Jan and they can have Sept back!

HH~