Author Topic: First Bow Build  (Read 4626 times)

Offline IrishJay

Re: First Bow Build
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2018, 08:33:10 pm »
Mark,
It was standing dead, but yeah it's the same wood from the beginning of the thread.
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2018, 12:45:23 pm »
I got it fairly straight, doing some shaping with the rasp today.
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2018, 12:56:07 pm »
Hi Jay,
It looks like you are set on giving this stave a try, so I'm not going to try and stop you. 
Have you checked out Gordon's vine maple bow build?  http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,53195.0.html
It helped me a lot with layout and such on my 1st stave try.   

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2018, 06:43:47 pm »
Thanks for the tip, that is a great thread. I'm kind of doing this like a board bow st this point, except I made my own board. I rip cut it flat on both back and belly and I'm going to linen back it.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2018, 08:04:34 pm »
Got most of my rasp shaping down today hoping to finish that up tomorrow so I can move on to heat bending and applying the linen backing on Friday.