Author Topic: Flutes  (Read 8879 times)

Offline 1442

Re: Flutes
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2018, 10:49:53 pm »
cont.

Offline 1442

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2018, 10:11:31 pm »
I fluted a gravel point today and measured the thickness of the channel flakes and stuff just to see how much of the preform a flute actually removes. The two flutes together removed about half the original thickness on this one.
The channel was a bit thicker near where the flutes terminated at .152" and  thinner near the initiation.
The numbers don't add up just right due to the ripples along the flute and my calipers contacting on the crest of them

Thicknesses:
preform           .280"
#1 flute flake   .078
#2 flute flake   .072
flute channel    .146

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2019, 07:31:00 pm »
Terry, it looks like your W/T ratio on the preform is about 4/1 when you set up to flute. Is that about right? I did a little fluting with a Solberger a few years ago and then got away from it. The last few flutes I did were done with indirect percussion, but even that has been a while now.

I see that your fluting nipple is further to the flute side than mine were, and the angle of the bit is much closer to parallel with the point than mine were. Of course indirect percussion involves a whole different set of angles.

I love the flaking on your Georgetown preform development. That is also some of the prettiest Georgetown I have ever seen.

WA

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2019, 07:34:40 pm »
As for fluting small points, Tony Soares is a pro of pros, and he does it with a little jig of his design. I have never used one of them, but his points sure indicate that the Soares jig is good.

WA

Offline 1442

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2019, 10:55:27 pm »
I think the w/t ratio of the preform was a bit flatter, like 4.5 to 1 but I didn't think to include a width messurement.
I've seen the Sores jig online and you're right he does awesome work with it.
A ladder type jig with the pressure lever contacting the platform is something I'd like to try on short flutes like a folsom or San Patrice.
A jig with a fixed length bit like a solberger bit and support rails like a ladder jig with a wedge system to adjust for point length real quick and easy seems like it would be the bomb. specialy with an atomatic preform feeder mechanism to deliver perfectly positioned preforms to where all ya got to do is pull the lever and catch the fluted points as they fall out the bottom. ::)

Offline bassman

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2019, 05:48:32 am »
Amazing looking flutes.