Author Topic: Stave Harvest  (Read 5991 times)

Offline IrishJay

Re: Stave Harvest
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2018, 04:44:49 pm »
Apple roughed out and debarked.
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline willie

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2018, 05:50:23 pm »
is the grain spiraled on that apple stave? and sawn straight, or is that the way you took the bark off?

I do like the hawthorn stave. I am not experienced with how apple and hawthorn dry, but I would leave them in an unheated space until they loose some substantial weight, that is if you are in a colder climate and it is heating season. I like to weight my staves when green and monitor weight drop and also look closely for checking, especially near the ends. you can get by loosing the free water the first few days, but when the free water is gone you have to go more slowly with the drying process

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2018, 05:53:57 pm »
The picture of the apple didnt turn our very well but the grain is straight.
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2018, 07:51:29 am »
Question on the hawthorn stave. It has a bit of a crook at one end should I try to heat bend that out of it now while the wood still has some moisture in it or wait until it dries. Also, both limbs have some reflex to them, but it's not even so at some point I'll have to use some heat to even them out. Or should I hear bend them both straight? I'm trying to get 40-45lbs @29.5 inches from a 60" stage roughly 1 1/4"  by 3/4" thick.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 07:58:26 am by IrishJay »

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2018, 08:14:18 am »
It will probably move some as it dries anyway so you really don't know at this point where it's going to end up but it wouldn't hurt to strap it to a 2x4 and try to pull a little of that crook out and to stop it from moving more. I haven't had a lot of success with trying to get them to stay in the new position but give it a shot.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2018, 08:29:48 am »
Does my target weight and draw length seem reasonable for the stave? What design would you guys recommend?

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2018, 08:34:22 am »
For a narrow hawthorn stave at 60 inches of length with almost 30 inches of draw your only option is a bendy handle I guess.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2018, 08:36:09 am »
At 3/4 thick by 1 1/4 wide can I get away with a small shelf on a bendy handle?

Offline PatM

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2018, 08:40:35 am »
No. You'll need an added on shelf and you're really pushing the draw length relative to the stave length and quality of it.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2018, 08:53:45 am »
How would you go about doing an "add on shelf?"

Offline PatM

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2018, 09:37:11 am »
I wouldn't but most use a sliver of thick leather or  wine cork glued in the appropriate spot.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2018, 09:48:54 am »
Gotcha, and then nothing glued to the belly, just let the stave br it's own handle?

Offline PatM

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2018, 09:51:56 am »
You can likewise build up the handle with a softer material to make it feel just like a bow with a stiff handle. 

Stacked leather or Cork again, shaped appropriately and then covered with grip material of your choice.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2018, 09:56:44 am »
How about something soft like cotton wood?

Offline PatM

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2018, 01:29:01 pm »
Soft as in no bend resistance, not soft as in  softwood.