Author Topic: Block of wood 2, build along  (Read 18476 times)

Offline DC

Re: Block of wood 2, build along
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2018, 10:00:26 am »
So I should start with 8 or 9 ;D ;D

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2018, 10:01:38 am »
make it an even dozen to be sure. :D

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2018, 03:26:56 pm »
When I break a shaft, that is when I know I should probably set the project aside and come back to the project later.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2018, 01:40:55 pm »
i have a similar craftsman saw ( not as old though :D) , and if you ever need too,  its really easy to make a simple sled for them.
just cut a strip of hardwood that will fit the miter slot in the table top, nice and snug, but will still move freely, and screw that to a piece of scrap plywood- attach some toggle clamps and its done!

And ya can often use thin plywood for your sled base, thus maximizing cut height of saw.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2018, 03:32:19 pm »
And instead of screws or clamps 5 min epoxy works. It's thick enough to bridge small gaps so you can square things up. It doesn't soak in so it cleans right off. Sometimes it even peels off. And most importantly if you screw up the saw goes right through it, no harm done. ;D ;D

Offline Swampman

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2018, 05:24:58 am »
I got a little bit more done last night.  I got self nocks cut into the arrows.

I clamp the arrow into my vice with leather wrapped around the arrow.  I make my first cut with a coping saw making sure go across the grain rather than with the grain.

After the first shallow cut with my coping saw, I then grab my hack saw with a round abrasive blade on it and cut the nock in.  I use a small file as a depth guide so that I can get each nock cut to the same depth.

After the nock is cut, I clean it up with a small file and sandpaper.  I will eventually wrap deer sinew around the bottom of the nocks to give them added strength.

Here are the arrows. 

Offline DC

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2018, 09:01:19 am »
So you don't end up with snap on nocks? I like seeing how different people make their nocks. I haven't found a way that makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. :D

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2018, 09:48:29 am »
There's certainly bunch of "personal preference" when it comes to carving self nocks. From authentic NA styles to beautifully shaped/finished ones that put a plastic nock to shame.
But no matter how shaped, a consistently done set of self-nocked arras like these always give me warm feeling not to be touched by those oil-derived ones.    (SH)
Absolutely personal preference!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2018, 11:04:18 am »
Where did you find a round hacksaw blade?  I must be shopping the wrong places (lol)!  On the other hand, I haven't looked for one, either, but it sounds like a neat tool!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline DC

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2018, 11:07:20 am »
It's called a tile saw. You can get hacksaw length or short ones that come with a wire handle. Big box stores have them.

Offline DC

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2018, 11:12:11 am »
There's certainly bunch of "personal preference" when it comes to carving self nocks. From authentic NA styles to beautifully shaped/finished ones that put a plastic nock to shame.
But no matter how shaped, a consistently done set of self-nocked arras like these always give me warm feeling not to be touched by those oil-derived ones.    (SH)

I don't like the look of plastic nocks but I've never used them. The probably work great. When it comes to self nocks there seems to be a bunch of different methods of doing almost the same thing. I like the idea of snap on self nocks but I've not had good luck finishing the bottom of the nock without messing up the snap on part.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2018, 11:31:25 am »

I don't like the look of plastic nocks but I've never used them. The probably work great. When it comes to self nocks there seems to be a bunch of different methods of doing almost the same thing. I like the idea of snap on self nocks but I've not had good luck finishing the bottom of the nock without messing up the snap on part.

Drill a hole first where you want the base to be.  cut a narrow slot down to this hole.  use a flat file to allow your string to fit through tightly.  Now use a round file to expand the hole until your bow string fits well, and then widen the slot until the  arrow holds on the string, but releases when tapped lightly.  I also use a 90-degree block sander to open up the end a little.  If you check out the bamboo arrow how-to on the how-to page, it has a better explanation, but if done right, it makes a nice snap-on self knock.

Offline DC

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2018, 01:31:31 pm »
That is very similar to what I do but when I try to smooth out the edges with the round file I mess up the narrow part that snaps on. Inept I guess :D

Offline Swampman

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2018, 08:23:06 pm »
I do put snap nocks on the bamboo arrows I make.  However, I got this new abrasive blade in a box of items at a garage sale so I wanted to try it out on these arrows.  It worked very well and left the nock so with just a bit of sanding and the arrow just fits perfectly in the bow string that these arrows will be shot out of.

I didn't show this step, but I also use a triangle file on the opening to give the nock a slight V shape so they go on the string easily.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2018, 09:40:34 pm »
DC, thanks for the info on the saw blade - helps to know what the proper nomenclature is!  I have been drilling a 3/32 pilot hole, then using an exacto blade to open up the slot before filing, usually with diamond needle files.   I do use a sinew wrap to strengthen the nock, and sometimes a silk thread decorator wrap.  Set up a jig in a block  of maple that works pretty good on straight shafts, only semi good on shoots.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry