Author Topic: Block of wood 2, build along  (Read 18371 times)

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
Re: Block of wood 2, build along
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2019, 08:51:48 pm »
I haven't had time to work on these for awhile but I had some time today.  I messed up on the self nocks I did so I cut them off and redid them.  The tile saw i used was too wide for the string on the bow I am making these for so I went back to the way I usually make self nocks. 

I use two hack saw blades taped together to cut the initial slot.  I cut to the depth of the blade.

I used a drill bit to round out the bottom of the slot.

I use a triangle file to open up the top of the slot.

I then used a small file to open up the slot so the nock just slides onto the bow string.  I actually tested it this time as I worked on the nocks. 

I then cleaned everything up with sand paper to get nocks that snap onto the bow string.  I am happier with these nocks.

Offline Swampman

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2019, 09:11:03 pm »
I now have a new spine tester. 

I tested the spine on each arrow and they were anywhere from 65 to 85 pound spines.  These were way to high for the 52 pound bow these arrows will be paired with.  I then proceeded to scrape and sand the arrows, testing the spine until they all came down to the 50 pound mark i was looking for.

I also tapered the end of the arrows to accept 11/32 glue on points.  I used a tool similar to a pencil sharpener and it works ok but I think in the future I will build a jig for my belt sander for this.  I think I will get a cleaner taper that way.

I weighed the arrows and they all are within 15 grains.  The lightest is 315 grains and the largest is 330 grains.  I am pretty happy with this.  I will pair them with 125 grain glue on points.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2019, 01:48:25 am »
I am enjoying this thread Swampman. It is a very good build along.

Offline TSA

• www.trueshaftarchery.com
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2019, 09:45:52 pm »
excellent job Swampman, you have done that block of wood justice!! :OK :OK

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2019, 04:59:35 am »
Looking really nice Mike. I'm still looking at my block of wood every day yet. I've got to many projects going now to even think about starting on it. It's really nice to see your progress though. I sure hope you get a turkey with one of them.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Swampman

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2019, 09:39:59 am »
Thanks Bj.  This spruce is really nice to work with.  I think you will enjoy it. 

Offline Swampman

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2019, 09:47:23 am »
I got a little more work done on these arrows.  First I applied stain on them. The stain did not spam in very well though.  I sanded the arrows to 600 grit and I think they are sanded so smooth the stain doesn't penetrate much.  I used walnut stain and the arrows did not get very dark, but they do look good.

I made a cresting jig and then painted a cresting on them.  I used red and black to match the painting on the bow these arrows will be matched up with.  I am not very good at this but I am happy with the results. 

My next step is to do one more round of straightening and then I am going to seal them with spar urethane.  I have used this in the past with good results.  Then I will have to split, grind and chop some feathers. 

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2019, 10:00:40 am »
Looking good!  Ready to see the finished set!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Swampman

« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2019, 08:15:20 pm »
Here are the arrows after 2 coats of spar urethane.  I found a good way to hang the arrows to dry. 

I did intend to wrap the nocks with sinew before putting the urethane on but I guess I forgot that step.  I will still do that but I guess it will have to wait for the urethane to dry now.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2019, 11:13:54 pm »
One of them got away! (lol) >:D. Neat idea!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Swampman

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2019, 05:18:54 am »
One of them got away! (lol) >:D. Neat idea!
Hawkdancer

Very observant!  I could only hang 5 on that bow hanger.  I had one other arrow on the hanger on another wall.

Offline Swampman

« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2019, 08:57:29 pm »
I went to my garage and found that I already had enough goose feathers split, ground and chopped.  This allowed me to finish up these arrows today.

I used fletch tape and a jo Jan fletching jig. This process moved pretty quickly.

After the arrows are all fletched, I will wrap the front edge of the fletchings with sinew.  I will also wrap the nocks with sinew too.  Here are the arrows with fletchings on. 

Offline Morgan

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2019, 09:03:51 pm »
Outstanding job on those arrows! Those goose feathers look very professionally done, could you do a split, grind, and chop along for those of us that like to butcher perfectly good feathers? ;)

Offline Swampman

« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2019, 09:04:57 pm »
I glued on 125 grain brass practice points with heat glue.  I also wrapped backstrap deer sinew at the front of the fletchings  and the front of the nocks.  I chew the sinew strips to soften them and then wrap and put tight bond 3 glue over the top of the wraps. 

Here the arrows are all finished up.

Offline Swampman

« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2019, 09:11:34 pm »
Here are a couple more pictures. The arrows seem to match very well with the bow I built these for.  Come Turkey season i will replace the practice tips with 125 grain broadheads. I am very happy with these arrows. 

I was only shooting at 12 yards but my max range will only be 20 yards.  Hopefully I can get a turkey that close this spring.