Author Topic: Cold malming?  (Read 5327 times)

Offline johnminnitt

Cold malming?
« on: December 13, 2018, 02:46:19 pm »
I have always thought of malming as basically the sort of heat and resin treatment that Marc StLouis advocates so eleoquently.
However I came across, on Youtube, a suggestion that some beneficial effect (though, I assume, less) can be got through the application of resin and solvent (Pine resin and turpentine in this case) to the belly without the high-temperature heat treatment, in that the resin still penetrates the near-surface cells of the belly wood and sets, somewhat hardening it.
Has anyone heard of this, or even tried it, might it work or really be not much more than a varnish?

'The crooked stick and the grey goose wing'

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Cold malming?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 03:44:43 pm »
I've not heard this but I also doubt it would be effective. The terp/pitch would only be absorbed a small amount on cold wood and I can't see how that would increase compression. Poly spray would be similar, I'd think.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 03:59:58 pm »
Haven’t tried it but isn’t burnishing also reported have a similar benefit?

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 04:15:03 pm »
Using penetrating resinous finishes is common in the flyrod building community to increase compression resistance and waterproofing.

You certainly can get stuff to soak into wood cold with a suitable solvent carrier but typically you would use heat or pressure to do so.

Might as well go for maximum effect.

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 09:25:46 am »
Using penetrating resinous finishes is common in the flyrod building community to increase compression resistance and waterproofing.

You certainly can get stuff to soak into wood cold with a suitable solvent carrier but typically you would use heat or pressure to do so.

That makes me think of using heat and then dousing it with swell lock. I will try that on my next to see if it does anything.   Hmmmm

Offline johnminnitt

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 05:01:15 am »

Do you think moderate heat (eg hairdryer) would help penetration, rather than the full-on wood-altering roasting?
Obviously it wouldn't be as effective as the whole treatment, I just have aesthetic hesitations about the browning, especially with yew which I like in its normal colour.

Thanks anyway to all who have responded.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 07:26:13 am »
John, I've never heard of that process before but it sounds interesting. If you try it, let us know how it works. 
I think any application of heat would speed the process.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 08:43:26 am »
I agree with George.  Even a little heat will help the solution penetrate into the wood and if nothing else it will seal the wood a bit better.
 O(n hickory and other whitewood bows, if I don't want to stain or dye the wood I will hand rub in oil with finely ground charcoal into the bow. The heat from the friction of hand rubbing helps it penetrate and cuts the "mighty white" appearance of the wood.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 11:24:49 am »
jfyi, none of the standard dictionaries I checked include the word "malming." Is it another term somebody just decided to make up?
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2018, 11:46:23 am »
...or fat fingers typing on a smart phone.

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2018, 02:54:39 pm »
All words and terms are made up.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2018, 04:24:24 pm »
I know that when used on a limb right after the heat-treating it is drawn into the wood quite a ways.  I've seen this by heating up a limb after it has been tillered, especially so on a white-wood like Elm.  You can see the resins come up to the surface of the wood.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2018, 03:24:01 am »
Absotively corright!
Del :)
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline johnminnitt

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2018, 04:06:21 am »
jfyi, none of the standard dictionaries I checked include the word "malming." Is it another term somebody just decided to make up?

I read somewhere (sorry, don't recall where, so it could be twaddle), that it is a Norwegian word, originally something to do with damaging pine trees in such a way that they produce more resin in the wood which makes the wood stronger.
As I say, I can't guarantee the accuracy of this, are there any Norwegian members out there?

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2018, 07:29:12 am »

OK. to  avoid the peanuts, I should have noted that the "made up word" is not commonly recognized yet, and that I was unable to find a definition. I had an editor tell me that the language grows from the bottom--people who don't know the correct word just choose another or make one up. That seems ever so common on forums.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine