Author Topic: Cold malming?  (Read 5428 times)

Offline PatM

Re: Cold malming?
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2018, 07:49:48 am »
All words and terms are made up.

OK. to  avoid the peanuts, I should have noted that the "made up word" is not commonly recognized yet, and that I was unable to find a definition. I had an editor tell me that the language grows from the bottom--people who don't know the correct word just choose another or make one up. That seems ever so common on forums.

What was that other word that you got all belligerated about?

Oh yeah, it was  power lam.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 08:56:25 am by PatM »

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2018, 01:47:30 pm »
At least belligerated is logical and follows rules of construction. I can be gusted with that one. The other one you are thinking of may the use of the noun gift as a verb. Now I've even seen people use "gifter" to mean one who transfers a thing to another person by "gifting" it. Such people are not gifted.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2018, 07:00:10 pm »
...and while were at it...why use telephone-speak on a computer.
"jfyi"...come on, Jim. You're better that that. :)
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2018, 09:35:50 pm »
Methinks, we have a bit of confusion going on here!  The topic is "malming", which may well be a term in a language other than English, (which is a bastard language anyway) meaning to infuse oils and resin into wood, heated or not.  Google the darned term and specify Norwegian and see if there is a hit!  It may well be in an unabridged dictionary if it has crept into English at all.  Some of us have a bit more exposure to advanced learning, but who the hell cares! - the focus here should be primitive skills!  We don't really need a pp contest!  Btw, I will match advanced learning credits and degrees with anyone and be in the upper percentages, and I try to learn something new every day!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Roby-Nie

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2018, 11:23:44 pm »
Hi all together,
the correct term would be "mælming" and is norwegian.
Once used to protect and harden skis it is also used in bow making.
Natural resin and a solvent are worked into the wood by heat over hours.
The temperature is supposed to be not as high as used in roasting the belly of a bow.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 07:56:05 am by Roby-Nie »

Offline johnminnitt

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2018, 04:59:06 am »
Just out of interest I have remembered where I heard about this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EyorVGyXnk

There's not much about it in the (very discursive) video, but there is an interesting comment by someone called Ulf Ullring (who sounds like he comes from the right part of the world. (If he is behind a pseudonym on here my apologies to him). I will quote a bit of it, I hope it doesn't contravene any copyright or anything
"Malming is in Scandinavia a way to make a pine tree all heartwood before you cut it. It is done by damaging the tree a couple of years or more before you cut it. "Malm" means "heartwood" in all the Scandinavian languages. Wikipedia says: "Ore-pine (Norwegian: malmfuru; Swedish: malmfura; Danish: malmfyr; Icelandic: málmfura) is a cured pinewood used extensively in the Middle Ages in the construction of Scandinavian stave churches. Ore-pine is the heartwood of prepared old-growth mountain pines; the trees had their branches removed and were left to stand, the tree resins bleeding upward and out through the cut branches and thus making the heartwood more resinous. The resultant ore-pine is much more resistant to rot and decay, as evidenced by stave churches surviving from the 12th and 13th centuries.[1][2]" Malm-wood are valuable because it is very rot resistant. It also becomes more dense and heavy. I have made skis of pine with much malm, and remember it didn't take a bend as well as pine with less malm. The tip after being boiled for some time, bent and then dried in the form, still wanted to straighten when it was removed from the form. But a canoe paddle I made from malm is very springy and durable, and after 40 years doesn't show a single crack. In the old bow building tradition of boreal Scandinavia (and Asia), where the classic good bow woods does not grow, composite bows where made of pine reaction wood on the compression side"
Whether adding resin and solvent afterwards can have a similar effect I will see.
'The crooked stick and the grey goose wing'

Offline DC

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2018, 08:48:31 am »
Using penetrating resinous finishes is common in the flyrod building community to increase compression resistance and waterproofing.

You certainly can get stuff to soak into wood cold with a suitable solvent carrier but typically you would use heat or pressure to do so.

Might as well go for maximum effect.

Do you think moderate heat (eg hairdryer) would help penetration, rather than the full-on wood-altering roasting?
Obviously it wouldn't be as effective as the whole treatment, I just have aesthetic hesitations about the browning, especially with yew which I like in its normal colour.

Thanks anyway to all who have responded.

You can get Yew quite hot before it browns noticeably. Light yew just looks like dark yew until you get above 300°f.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2018, 07:48:47 am »

[/quote]

language grows from the bottom--people who don't know the correct word just choose another or make one up.
[/quote]Does that mean that language is becoming more dumbed down?
Eric

Offline PatM

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2018, 10:15:56 am »
Well now that the word meaning is established we just need to get Jim to approve and we're good to add it to the lexicon.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2018, 03:07:47 pm »
Interesting thought, in all areas. ;) :) Sorry guys I am the guilty party of being gifted, I am so ashamed  ;) But I barely got through English anyway.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good