Author Topic: Four deer hides fleshed  (Read 31381 times)

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Four deer hides fleshed
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2019, 05:09:54 pm »
Ed your a welth of knowledge. Love your posts.  :OK
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2019, 05:51:54 pm »
BJ, you got your donut thing goin on now. I put a loop of bailer twine on my pole and slide it over your twister stick so I can walk away and let it drip. Ed I worked construction my whole life and always had cuts on my hands and never had any bad infections but have had 2 since I started braintanning. Maybe my tolerance changed since I got old :o :o Might not of had brains hot enough also, We have CWD now in Penna. , not my area but still need to be vigilant :( I think my hides become a little boardy from trying to get away with to few of braining and wringing. Ed how did you make your hide bag for smoking. I have tried glue and sewing and lately have been using a staple gun, All 3 methods seem to take forever, any tips. Bob

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2019, 07:39:56 pm »
I got the holes sewed up and did some stretching and breaking hide. I even got my wife and son to do a little tugging and we all pulled in different directions. Won't get it done tonight but it's coming along nicely. Here's the holes I sewed
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2019, 07:47:29 pm »
Bob....I par boil brains a good 10 minutes till they are gray.Then into the blender to emulsify.Other than that I can't explain reason for infection your getting.There's all kinds of different variations of infections out there.Most are normal I'd say but if left to go septic they are bad news.You might need to wear rubber gloves.
One thing I acquired back in the 80's & 90's rendezvousing after sewing many outfits/hats/bags and you name it by hand or the quick stitch double stitch tool  was to get myself a good sewing machine.Still got that quick stitcher though as it is handy to have yet.Used to sew the hides to smoke into a tube by hand for a while and tried the glueing method too but did'nt care for it.Stapling may work but I like my tube sealed tight forcing smoke through the leather.I've got a table top with it's own oil pan singer sweat shop machine that'll sew 7 layers of canvas if need be.Saves me much time.Used to have a singer surging machine too but sold it.Made dozens of fur hats with that machine.I have a Viking zig zag table top low industrial level machine I'll let go of now too.
I sew my brain tanned hide into a tube and attach a skirt to the bottom of hide.Fits over a 1/3 piece of a steel 30 gallon barrel that most times is about the exact same circumference as the bottom of hide tube.Simple tri pod set up over it to hold hide up.My method varying on intensity of the smoke takes around 1 hour on each side.I like my hides darker than most.Always smoke flesh side to skin darker than outside or hair side.I smoke 1 hide at a time.I see them smoking 2,3.or even 4 at a time which is hard to get them all the same color that way unless suspended in a teepee or smoke shed.I check on mine while smoking to match other hides I have.The hotter and more coals used will produce a darker color quicker.A person does'nt want it so hot that you can't leave your hand in there.Too much heat and leather don't get along too well anyway.I like to do it in a calm area with no wind.The wind shaking the tube while smoking will make smoking job streaky also.
If holes are'nt sewn prior to smoking  the hole area will be much darker than surrounding leather.Stuffing a piece of tissue or toilet paper in hole will stop that and it'll be same color as surrounding leather.
PS....The same thing happens when leaky holes from hand sewing into tube are on the edge.Some people don't mind the variation in degree of shades while smoking hides.If dark enough a good soaking in water and reroping when almost dry will even things out color wise too.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 06:55:22 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2019, 07:48:51 pm »
BJ....If hide is'nt dry put it in a plastic bag/twist it shut and keep it cool while not working it.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2019, 07:58:04 pm »
Thanks for the help Outback and Ed. I'm going to put it in a bag now and get ready for bed. I tackle it another time.
Bjrogg
Would sure like a sewing machine and knowledge of how to use it Ed

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2019, 09:22:07 pm »
Thanks Ed.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2019, 02:16:31 pm »
Dang Bob, I figured as tough as your old hands were nothing could infect you.  ;) All jokes aside I do like Ed and boil mine, never really had a problem and I do put them in the fridge when I am done if I plan on doing another and just add to it. BJ here is a picture of my set up to ring out the hide, maybe give you an idea. I just drape the hide over it head to tail [no picture of that] and then throw the long end over, the roll up one side and then the other over top of that to make a donut so to speak. I will try and get a picture of how it looks rolled up before you ring it if you want.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2019, 06:24:32 pm »
I think I did it the same Pappy. I like you wooden pole though. I use steel pipe and hide wanted to slip and slide around. I figured it out though.
Bjrogg

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2019, 07:18:51 pm »
Pappy ya got the old part right :o Since I retired hands seem to be getting softer all the time :( Been twisting up a handrill fire about every other day to try and keep some tuffiness in them, Also knapping keeps them nice and pretty and soft ::) ::)  Pappy you getting shorter or that's a big deer hide. ;D Bob

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2019, 07:22:59 pm »
Good pics Pappy.This is what's this site is all about.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2019, 04:57:20 am »
 ;D ;D ;D It is a big hide Bob.  ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2019, 05:43:47 am »
You need not beat yourself up too bad if it does'nt come out as soft as you would like first few times.I can't remember how many I had to retry or rebrain back then before consistent success happened.
PS...I'd say that's an elk hide Pappy has got there.Pappys' got the perfect enviornment to brain tan soften hides.Plus with so many visitors help is'nt too far way either.
BJ...that's a nice job sewing those holes.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 06:45:50 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2019, 03:07:04 pm »
Nope not an Elk Ed, just a big old Tennessee white tail, about 185 field dressed if I remember right. Some of our deer are long and lanky and some are short and stubby, They say when they stocked them here in the early 60's some came from Texas and others came from WI. and they are totally different in body size. Still shows up today. Here it is when killed. :)
 Pappy
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 03:17:43 pm by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2019, 03:59:07 pm »
Pappy, have fun on the  neck and hips on that one. Where"s Jesse for them tuff neck ones :o ;D