Author Topic: Four deer hides fleshed  (Read 30838 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Four deer hides fleshed
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2018, 12:28:20 pm »
You want to remember to hang them far enough from the wall for good air circulation.

I was thinking that already DC. Thanks though good point.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2018, 12:13:03 pm »
Well these two are dry enough to dehair now. I made a little progress. Hope to finish dry scraping this one yet this year.
Bjrogg

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2018, 12:32:42 pm »
Cool beans BJ....They dried fairly quick did'nt they.Your doing fine and your scraper seems to be getting it done good.Doing the larger hide first heh.You'll be surprised it'll be done soon in no time.One thing...Not all epidermis on every deer is the same color.Most times either gray or pinkish.Do the little trick of light on one side of hide seeing through the hide to pick up any epidermis missed.
PS....If you find a good useful use for that hair...I'd like to know of it....Ha Ha.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 12:41:01 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2018, 12:44:01 pm »
Thanks Ed. Yup it seemed like just getting a strip started was the hardest part. I almost have this one done now. If I was ten years younger I'd be working on the second one by now.lol. My tool seems to be working pretty good once I get under the hair. I thought about doing the smaller one first, but I was closer to the big one.lol. I'll probably tan it first maybe, or maybe not. My buddy dropped off three more hides this morning and heads. I would like to  check with local slaughter house and see if I can get more brains. Lord knows I need em.
Bjrogg

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2018, 12:51:33 pm »
Your gonna be a busy fella....Ha Ha.Once you get that hide dehaired good and sanded to your satisfaction and cut out your frame can get freed up for lacing in another hide,or if you have more frames made it does'nt matter.
You should get be getting enough hides to make many things.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2018, 01:16:50 pm »
Yup, I'm just a brute for punishment. I think I'm getting the hang of it. Should get me back in shape again if it doesn't kill me first.lol. I finished the big one except for as you said sanding. That might have to wait till next year. My wife and I met on New Year's Eve so we always have to do something.
Happy New Year everyone. Stay safe and watch out for those who may have over indulged.
Bjrogg
Here it is ready to sand.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2018, 01:32:22 pm »
Looking good BJ, lots of work but well worth it ones they are all finished. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2018, 02:32:46 pm »
I hope all that epidermis is off.Normally the whole thing will be an egg shell white color after dehairing.I see a pinkish hew.I could be wrong.Wish I could see it first hand.Most times it's the no.1 reason why first time brain tanners get stiffish hides.I'd make sure it's off though.
Not trying to be picky here,just trying to save you time and effort with success being the main goal.Smoke does'nt go through the leather at all with that on their either and it does'nt acquire a nice smokey color then.
Don't worry about blood staining in the rawhide either if making brain tan.After braining and twisting a few times that'll disappear pretty much.If not completely then after smoking it sure will.
We'll stay home over new years evening.Have a happy relaxed evening into the new year.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 02:46:06 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2018, 02:52:10 pm »
BJ. lookin good and  no extra holes. I bet ya never thought that a deer had that much hair :o Don't forget me if ya find a good use for it. I know that ya got quite workout and would love to tell ya that wet scrape is easier, its not. I have come to brilliant conclusion that most primitive skills are just plain hard work :o :o ;D A friend of mine does a lot of Braintan and he gets $18 to $20 / sg. ft. I keep telling him he's workin to cheap :o When ya get to the smaller hide be careful on the flanks it is real easy to push your tool thru them, Bob

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2018, 03:20:15 pm »
Thanks Ed . Don't worry about nit picking. I'm looking for problems and how to fix em before I mess up. If you think I should scrap more I'll try. Maybe I'll see what the smaller one looks like before I brain this one. Im pretty sure I got a lot of it off, but maybe not all?

Thanks Outback. I knew the hair was going to make a pretty big pile. I'm thinking it was less messy dry. I tried to talk my brother into making a sleeping bag with that hair for insulation. He didn't bite.
Sure would be nice to use that by-product for something useful. I'm sure the mice would love it.
Bjrogg

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2018, 05:31:06 pm »
BJ, ya might be on to something with the sleeping bag thing, not sure how to get all the ticks, keds and other critters out but can ya see yourself waking up with 4 inches of snow on your bag and just shake it off and get up and go. Nice.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2018, 06:18:49 pm »
The thing about dry scraping is that on old thicker hided animals with thicker epidermis it can come off in layers so to speak.Not just with one stroke.Especially in the neck areas.On younger thinner hided animals many times 1 stroke is all that's needed.This can depend on the sharpness of your scraper too and amount of pressure used.It's that learning curve again!Although we never stop learning the more you do the easier it gets as you get a feel for it.The thinner flanks are done with the scraper as sharp as possible so less pressure is needed.A narrower band taken off can aid in that too.
With the wet scraping it usually always comes off to the leather depth and not in layers although you've got to watch it like Outback said not to leave any thin overlooked strips.Overlapping your strokes prevents that from happening.Those strips do not smoke well either.Overlapping strokes dry scraping helps to eliminate all of the epidermis too.
Dressing and smoking hides like this is simple,and most times simple does not mean easy.I could ramble on and on I guess just because I like the outcome of the process so much and I guess a connection and respect for and with the people who did it 100's of years ago and the simple fact that it still produces top notch double tough leather.All it really is,is softened smoked rawhide in reality with no chemicals in it to be breaking down the natural toughness,and everyone has heard the saying tough as rawhide before to confirm that.
The hair I believe would make an excellent buffer from the cold ground camping out in a primitive situation.Hair on deer hides served that purpose too.In the past at froze foot rendezvous's I slept on willow rod mats on the frozen ground which did the trick along with buffalo robes laid down.
There are some amazing brain tanners out there,but you'll find that's all done basically the same with some variations but with the same thing in mind.The bigger hides require more effort but the rewards are bigger too.In my time era of making them per sq. ft. the price on them has almost doubled.From $10.00/sq.ft. back in the early 1980's to $20.00/sq.ft. nowadays just for deer hides.Thicker hides like elk/moose/buffalo will get a higher premium price yet.Which they should.They are a lot of work.
I'm satisfied nowadays to just supply myself with a little extra to swap with others about as my bread and butter for living does not depend on selling brain tanned hides.Doing your own hides from animals you shot with primitive equipment is enough of a very satisfying feeling for me.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 05:48:37 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2019, 06:08:48 pm »
Thanks Outback and Ed. I did a lot more scraping and sanding on the big hide today. I think it's looking and feeling real good. I sure hope so anyway. I also scraped the smaller hide. I did push tool through thin stuff on flanks twice.  I  think I'm ready to brain them next. One of my buddies stopped over tonight. He is retired now but working at a taxidermist when he feels like it. He said he could get me some brains. Hoping to get these hide tanned soon.
Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2019, 10:39:28 am »
I haven't had time to do anything since New Year's Day. I think the big one is good. Might do a little more on little one.
Here's some pictures
Bjrogg

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2019, 12:14:59 pm »
BJ, you're at a nice stage where they will keep, actually probably get better everyday as mucus evaporates so brain will absorb better.