Author Topic: Elk Hunting advice  (Read 13380 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Elk Hunting advice
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2019, 02:17:56 pm »
Clint, if you want to borrow my water filter pump I can bring it to the Classic. Like I said, all you'll need is a new filter.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2019, 03:59:22 pm »
Thanks Pat.  The guy I'm going with has one and said he didn't even need it last year.  We should be OK.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2019, 04:11:52 pm »
 :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JEB

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2019, 08:31:44 pm »
We drove to 8000 and set up camp and day hiked looking for the elk. Aas I mentioned the government buzzed the herds a day or two before our opener to break them up for hunting season. Not sure why they did it before bow season but they did.  As a result we had a hard time finding the elk.  We had a base camp so it was a little easier than backpacking in and camping. Keep an eye out on craigslist for equipment, tent, pack etc.  You will want a tent that the fly goes almost to the ground. They do a better job in keeping the rain and wind out.  I have a hand full of tents that we have used over the years and Mountain Hardware was the most durable.  I have a Kelty exterior framed back pack that we used when we were in back packing mode. I liked the exterior framed packs because you can hang things like socks, bandana's and skivies on the outside to dry as you are hiking. As mentioned, the farther you hike in the farther and many trips to carry your game out.

While in camp one day a hunter drove in and introduced himself and asked to camp with us. We were glad to say yes. His last name was Miller and at the time he held the record for largest ram taken with a bow and arrow.  I have his photo on the back of an archery magazine. if I remember right he was using a Darton compound at the time. (not at home to confirm this). He was also having a hard time finding the elk. 

A list of things that I can think of that will help:

2 1/2 gallon zip lock bags ( use these to keep your clothing dry, do your laundry and fill with warm water to shower) Lay your t-shirt, skivies and socks out. roll them up and then stick the roll in the 2 1/5 gallon zip lock bag and roll that up. Use a rubber band on each end. You just water proofed your dry clothing

Very small container of wool lite. To wash your clothes in the zip locks, Uses cold water. Fill bags with water, few drops of wool lite and swish around and let clothing sit for a time. rinse and hang.  Wife and I used  this technique on our cross country bicycle trip. worked great.

small camp stove with small bottle propane (back packer size) no worries about liquid spilling or leaking and smelling up your hunting clothes.

10' by 10' piece of Tyvek building material.  Light, folds small and helps keep you dry as a tarp because it is going to rain and snow.

These are some of the odd things that we use on back packing, hunting a cycling trips that are light and was glad that we had them.  If I can think of other things I will add them.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2019, 08:32:33 pm »
This is a picture of where we will be hunting.  I can't wait to see that view in person.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2019, 08:36:37 pm »
Thanks for the advice Jeb.  I planned on taking a large heavy duty tarp for base camp.  Paracord is on my list too.  We are planning on operating out of a base camp but may stay a night or two on the mountain if we get on some elk.  We are getting either sex tags. 

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2019, 09:56:59 pm »
Daughter gonna get you running?
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2019, 10:20:03 pm »
Clint, Jeb just made me remember a very very light must have  item. Chapstix. High altitude will dry your lips out something awful.  Stay hydrated, real important. Country looks great. A lot of the cows are bigger than the bulls an in my opinion eat way better ;D Bob

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2019, 08:20:58 am »
Beautiful country.   I don't have any advice for you, but I'm excited you get to experience what looks to be a dream hunt.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2019, 08:29:25 am »
Knoll, she has been coaching me on a fitness plan. 

Bob, chapstick is on my list of necessities. 

Thanks Aaron.  I'll take a lot of pictures and share the experience.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2019, 09:55:37 am »
That is one sweet view!  Good luck.  Elk hunting is on my life list, but I have to wait until I retire to do it (September is not a month you can take off in the teaching bidness).  Good excuse to stay in shape I suppose...

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2019, 10:34:11 am »
Those views start as soon as you start up the canyons!  My guess is those snow covered ridges are about 30-40 miles off!  An elk hunt is not a thing to tackle by yourself, unless you can set up in a very accessible place, and you have a power winch on the truck!  A come along at the least!  Even a quartered cow can go close to 300# or more , a big bull up to 500!  Remember, too, the "elk math" theory applies - "one guy 33, and one guy 66 does not equal 3 guys 33"!  >:D. Been there - done that!  Took us 2 days to get a bull out 1/2 mile from the road, mostly up hill! Packing in, expect to work hard, both ways!  Have a safe and successful hunt!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline JEB

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2019, 11:02:00 am »
Travel size Gold Bond powder. And its not for your feet but your nether regions. You will be glad you brought it. Wished I was home to go over my list but I am not. If it is OK I will post as I think.

Grab a good stick for hiking when you get there. For the down hills as much as the up hills.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2019, 11:34:56 am »
I know what you mean about the powder JEB.  I was looking at those trekking poles that fold up and store in your pack when you don't need them. 

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2019, 12:27:21 pm »
Whos doing the cooking Clint?
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking