Author Topic: Elk Hunting advice  (Read 13346 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Elk Hunting advice
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2019, 01:02:38 pm »
Whos doing the cooking Clint?

Probably both of us Bill.  I plan on taking some easy meals.  Might freeze enough to get through the first several days with minimal cooking.  I will make a bunch of deer jerky to snack on during the day.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2019, 01:10:01 pm »
I'm thinking Bill is suggesting he come along as chief cook and bottle washer. Have fun Clint. It's on my bucket list for sure. My brother has been Elk hunting at least four times. He loves it. He has three nice mounts. I'd have to take a cow or small bull. I don't have a wall big enough to put  one of those mounts. He is in much better shape than I am. He's also almost ten years younger. Come to think of it I was in much better shape ten years ago. The thin air can really get to you.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2019, 02:42:05 pm »
BJ   :OK
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2019, 02:48:48 pm »
I've spent plenty of time living off of very little in the woods and I'll tell you what Ready-to-Eat meals are the way to go. Good ones from REI will cost you six seven bucks a piece but most are packed full of calories and all you need to do is boil water. You eat right out of the pouch your garbage is minimal and the only thing you got to clean off as your spoon. We used to pack food to bring into the Boundary Waters but after discovering those we stopped. All you need to do it's bring a small Kettle to boil water in. There's a pretty vest selection of different stuff. Honestly most of them are really good and even better after hiking all day and all you got to do is boil some water

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2019, 02:58:28 pm »
On second thought you may not have a vast selection to choose from. Most of them contain vegetables besides corn

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2019, 03:18:43 pm »
So Paul,  you are saying I'm going to starve to death correct?    ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2019, 03:29:09 pm »
Seriously though check them out. Buy a couple and try them at home. You cannot beat the convenience

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2019, 07:47:22 pm »
 I ate a lot of MRE and did better calorie wise than anything else, I liked most of them but some don't like them at all. I also ate a lot c rats in the Nam and  MRE are delicious compared to them. Bob

Offline JEB

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2019, 07:56:32 pm »
I don't know Bob, I kind of like ham and m!!!!!ers I got in c rats. Lol

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2019, 08:16:18 pm »
Can't comment on the hunting techniques as I've only been drawn for elk once so far.   But I can comment on gear.

Highly recommend a Jetboil if you're doing freeze dried food or wanting a hot beverage.   Great for quick ramen noodles or instant oatmesl packs, too. They'll boil a pint of water in just a couple of mins.

MSR Pocket Rocket has served me well for quick heating but hard to turn down the heat for simmering.  Extreme light weight and takes up little space.

I really like my Sierra Stove for more extended cooking.  Its a little on the heavy side, but when you take in to account fuel bottles or propane it works out lighter than alot of stoves.  It uses a AA battery and  anything organic you pick up in the woods...pine cones, twigs, charcoal, anything and gets forging hot.  A battery lasts me about 25 hours, try to carrh 25 hours worth of cooking propane or white gas on your back.

I make up little packets of peanut butter with my foodsaver.  Each one about a quarter cup.  I have a hard time getting enough calories and often don't even feel hungry beyond my normal 2000 calories or so per day.  I also like to add butter to everything for some extra calories and even lard where appropriate.   I've been known to make grits with lard or bacon grease and then put butter on top.  Spam is a great source of calories, protein,  and sodium if you're sweating alot...used to eat it cold out of the can when I was on field ops in 29 Palms but generally prefer it cooked.  Something else that makes a great high energy snack are those no bake oatmeal and chocolate cookies. 

For quick water purification I like to carry along a Sawyer mini purifier.   Just fill up the bag amd drink thru the filter, can back flush it easy enough.   Sometimes I use a Steripen if drinking from a clear mountain stream.  I personally lab tested it when I worked for the UCI BioChem Dept, and it works well.  For more bulk water I use the MSR Miniworks, it doesn't produce as much water as a Katadyne for the same amount of pumping, but it screws on to a Nalgene so you don't have to worry about messing with a second hose (had a buddy take a dunk in a creek at Yosemite trying to manage two hoses :)) It's also much cheaper.

Can't say enough about milspec ponchos and poncho liner.  Fairly light weight, and if used right makes a tolerable shelter in addition to rain protection.   

I've given up on alkaline powered headlamps and flashlights.  Current favorite is a 18650 lithium powered headlamp.  With a full charge it can literally go two full nights, nonstop on one battery set on medium.  YMMV based on mAh and battery manufacturers.

For easy around the base camp food, experiment with foodsaver bags if you haven't already.  You can fill them with leftovers building up s supply in the freezer, or make and freeze batches of whatever you like.  Put them in the ice chest frozen and they'll stay that way for a while extending your ice or keeping other things cold.  You can boil right in the bag, and once heated, eat from the bag like an MRE.  No fuss, no cleanup.   Plus you get to eat what you like and not over priced over processed food.  I've even done eggs by scrambling,  pour in bag in liquid state, add shteddrd cheese, salsa, hot sauce,  whatever and they turn out alright cooked in the bag.  If not thawed prior, they will take a little bit to cook through in s pot of boiling water...but the no diswashing aspect makes up for it.  Edit: you do have to be csreful not to puncture or rip the bags, or it will leak or take on water when you boil.

Hope you find some nugget in this long winded post and best of luck.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 08:23:54 pm by dieselcheese »
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2019, 08:56:00 pm »
Clint, just get serious and shoot a nice cow and eat elk all week . Jeb, these kids don't have a clue about Ham and M------ers. Talk about a flashback ugggh.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2019, 11:09:40 pm »
Hey, wait!, we gave our LT a whole case of Ham & MFs one time!  Mickey likes It! >:D.
Lot's of good equipment info going on!  MREs aren't as good as LRRPs, but are easier to find! Any high fat/protein foods are good.  I picked up some new info on this thread, but I don't plan to be more than a half mile from the vehicle!!  I will be researching the stuff that has been mentioned!  I would rate the water filters, fire starters, and portable tarps very high on the list.  Get a Small game license and you may be able to get a grouse, as well.  Wool and polypropylene fabric, goretex, make sure your. Boots fit well and are broken in! 
If you are passing through Denver and laying over, let me know, and maybe we can get together for an appropriate beverage! 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2019, 05:23:21 am »
It will be a great adventure Clint. It is worth the trip if you come home with meat our not. Beautiful country that us flat Lander's don't see often. We seen a few elk on our trip but no shots,  Beau did get a Mule deer doe but it would have been a great trip either way. I know you will love it. Just get in shape so you can enjoy. :) Lots of things to look at if you are physically to go look. Good advice on equipment above. We set up a nice base camp that we could drive to and then after a day on to , to get acclimated we spike camped in 3 or 4 miles. That made things nicer. We would stay in spike camp 3 or 4 days then come back to base camp to clean up and relax, also had a place easy to take care of any game we had taken, plus done some fishing. :) Fishing comes with the tag, at least ours did. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2019, 10:57:58 am »
Those combination "Sportman's" tags were neat!  Everything is separate now, except for the small game and fishing combo.  I don't remember exactly when the switch was made.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2019, 02:53:21 pm »
I just went in 2018 and my Elk and Mule deer tag came with fishing included. I was in White River east of Meeker. ???
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good