Author Topic: new arrows 2008  (Read 18978 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
new arrows 2008
« on: April 06, 2008, 08:00:02 pm »
These are my(first) new arrows for this year. Most are sourwood shoots but one is viburnum, one is maple and one is switch cane(actually I think it is hill cane, right Steve?). Four of the arrows were fletched with Cherokee 2 fletch, 2 are with 3 small feathers laid back to back and 3 arrows are regular 3 fletch. All but the 3 fletch are ties on with sinew. The 3 fletch was done with a JoJan straight fletch using fletch tape with the forward end wrapped with sinew. All the arrows have self nocks with sinew wrap and the cane has a bamboo skewer glued in the center hole before cutting the self nock. All arrows but the cane are sealed with pitch pine varnish, as well as the sinew wrappings. All have field points now but later on, some will have stone or trade points. ;D     Pat

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline david w.

Re: new arrows 2008
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 08:01:55 pm »
those are really nice i especially like the scorch marks on them :)
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 08:04:05 pm »
here is a few more pics. Note the arrow with the crooked shaft. It has 3 small, heavily barred feathers back to back. Shoots pretty good too. I do need to do a bit of fine tuning to it, though.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 08:06:02 pm »
Thanks David. I do that for camo purposes but also it is part of my tempering process.   Pat

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 08:06:57 pm »
Cool Arra's Pat....wish I was talented enough to make them from anything but Hardwood or cedar!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 08:09:47 pm »
All ya gotta do is do it! ;)  They are not all that hard to make and it is quite rewarding to make an arrow from scratch with found materials and have it fly. :o 8)     Pat

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 08:29:21 pm »
Looks good Pat but why don't ya shoot that deer in yer yard ;)

Ya should see the crooked arrow I sent Shannon ::) I think with just a little more tweaking it would have shot ok.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 10:50:37 pm »
neat lookin arrows i like that sort of fletching. nice dogs too. ;)
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 10:50:59 pm »
Nice looking arrows Pat. I've been wanting to try that two fletch. How much time does it take to do them that way compared to standard three fletch?

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline RG

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 11:17:20 pm »
 :) Great looking arrows Pat you have my vote for arrows of the month ;D Maybe year

Ron

Offline Little John

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 11:44:30 pm »
Pat, nice looking work but need to see them in person, guess I will here in less than a month. Can't really see exzactly  just what you did. I have not had much luck with this type of fletching so am anxious to see yours and try some more. Did you get my P.M. reply to staying in your big tent at the classic?   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline John K

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 12:01:23 am »
Nice arrows Pat ! What do you have writen on the one cane arrow  ??? is that the weight....i liek the scortch markers too  :)
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 12:22:20 am »
All ya gotta do is do it! ;)     Pat
Amen brother, it is primitive archery after all.  ;D  Nice arrows Pat.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

humaza

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 01:04:30 am »
you got some vulture fletch on there? I was lucky enough to come upon some shed feathers under a roost

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 02:12:56 am »
Dana, That deer has been shot thousands of times. ;D
  HunterTrapper, Sister and Lucy Brown always have to get in the pics.
Alan, I am familiar with the standard 3 fletch and I can do them pretty quick. When I get used to the 2 fletch I have no doubt I can do them faster....but for now I am enjoying the journey. ;)
Thanks Ron, I'll buy you a tip of the jar when I get to Twin Oaks. ;)
   Kenneth, I got your PM. You should be about ready for some R&R! ;)  This is my first attempt at these types of fletching but I can see I will continue to use them and hopefully improve my execution of them. Yeh, the tent ought to be plenty roomy although, it seems to fill up pretty quickly with just me in it at hunting camp. ;D
   John, I always weigh bare shafts and finished arrows and indicate the finished arrow weight. That cane arrow, with a 125gr field point weighs 547gr.
   Justin, Thanks. We ain't building Swiss watches, just primitive archery stuff. That is a hard lesson to teach...and learn!  ::)
  Humaza, They are Canada Goose feathers. I don't think the law allows me to use buzzard feathers, whether they were molted or not.
  Thanks everyone.  Arrows are a bunch of work but a journey worth taking. Everyone should try them. Depending on where you live, there is a hardwood or softwood shoot, a cane or a tree worth splitting in your area that you can make your arrows from. These arrows are way tougher than any store bought arrows too...and they are free for the taking!!! 8)     Pat