Author Topic: new arrows 2008  (Read 18781 times)

jamie

Re: new arrows 2008
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2008, 10:27:16 am »
awesome pat.. finished up a half dozen myself. had no focus and was tired when i went in the woods now i have 2 ;D. fred was just up but i missed him.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2008, 10:31:02 am »
Mike, sourwood is Oxydendrum arboreaum, a tree that grows in the eastern US. It sends out shoots that make great arrows. I'm sure we can round you up a few.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

jamie

« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2008, 11:43:09 am »
steve are the shoots suckers from the root or are they more like the secondary growth on a crab or redbud. ive used sourwood in designs but usually havent had the opportunity to view them once theyve established themselves.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2008, 12:47:38 pm »
Mike, we know where you can get some! ;)
   Jamie, the natural habit of sourwood is to send up straight shoots in its new growth, weather from the base of the tree or at the terminal buds at the top of the tree. Also, being an under story plant that grows straight, when it becomes unsupported by the surrounding canopy, sourwood has the tendency to lean over and subsequently shoots will sprout along the top side of the trunk.
   Where I get most of my shoots is along the road side where the DOT mows the road banks every 3 or so years. Sourwood seems to be a heavy seeder and many seedlings develop along these sunny road banks. After a few years of growth the mowers come back through, cut them back to near the ground and new shoots sprout and head for the sun. After their 2nd year of growth is my favorite time to cut them.
   I have also noticed a variation amongst individual sourwoods as to shoot lengths. Some grow is only a foot or so and some will grow up to about 6' and in my observations this remains consistent from one year to the next.
 If you were to go back to those landscapes where you planted sourwood and cut them to the ground, you would see plenty of shoot growth. ;D   
I haven't seen Fred lately either. I'm with a different company so I don't frequent the coffee shop were we used to see each other.          Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2008, 03:22:17 pm »
im glad i decided to ask about the stuff. obviously it aint to bad!! got mine drying now. caint wait to start workin with em.
lets just shoot it

jamie

« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2008, 06:02:25 pm »
thanks pat . im gonna get one for my yard. im pretty sure the customers would get pissed if i cut theirs down ;D

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2008, 11:08:49 pm »
Pat pm me I would like to trade for some of those shafts ... need bear huntin arrows... only need about eight shafts... Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2008, 11:25:04 pm »
ya gonna kill a bear wit two sticks and a string. i admire that alot. post pics.
lets just shoot it