Author Topic: Chinese elm?  (Read 6483 times)

Offline Badger

Re: Chinese elm?
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2019, 11:07:32 am »
All the street trees on my street are Chinese elm. Tiny leaf about 1/2" long. Excellent bow wood, almost impossible to break even with severe violations. Dense and heavy.

Hey Steve is that something different than Box Elder? I really don't know what Chinese Elm is. I just know that some people around here call Box Elder by that name.
Bjrogg

As far as I know box elder is maple

Offline DC

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2019, 11:12:53 am »
+1

Offline txdm

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2019, 11:38:58 am »
If your in the western US then 99% chance it’s a Siberian elm and not Chinese. People call it Chinese but it’s not. Easy to tell the difference. Siberian elm when it is full grown has fissured bark of brown to dark grey. Chinese elm has pale smooth bark that looks like sycamore. Siberian elm is a great bow wood. As fast a bow as any top wood. I only use young trees using the natural rounded back. That is the best design for this wood and a flat belly. It is much stronger in tension so the natural crowned back works that tension wood. It was also used as a core wood in Mongolian composite bows at least 800 years ago

Very cool. Though not native in the U.S., Siberian Elms are not considered invasive because the generally won't out-compete native trees. I was able to purchase 10 Siberian Elm rootstocks for $25 from a catalog. They grow very fast. One of them was in a very wet area and it died, so I have cut it into three 6-foot logs about 5" round. They have lots of little branches though.

Offline PatM

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2019, 11:47:01 am »
Siberian Elm was planted very extensively to establish shelter belts and it hybridizes with native Red Elm.  It was also extensively crossed deliberately and cultivars were developed from those crossed specimens.

Trees that can't readily be placed as a species may be those crosses.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2019, 11:58:22 am »
Pat, I wonder if our Siberian’s out west are more pure. as far as I know there are no elms native from the Rocky Mountains to the pacific.

Offline JonW

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2019, 04:54:38 pm »
Chuck I have used trees up to 10" in diameter. Seem to be as good as the smaller ones. I like Siberian for bows.

Offline PatM

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2019, 06:59:05 pm »
Pat, I wonder if our Siberian’s out west are more pure. as far as I know there are no elms native from the Rocky Mountains to the pacific.

Yeah, unless a hybrid was planted it doesn't seem like there's anything there.

Offline DC

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2019, 07:35:36 pm »
Chinese Elm is very popular as a bonsai because of it's tiny leaves and fine twigs. The hybrids may not have such small leaves. Might be a way of distinguishing.

Offline Badger

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2019, 10:44:35 pm »
 Chinese elm seed pods cover the ground this time of year. For some reason hundreds of them will sprout in my fire pit and any potted plants I have around will also be invaded.

Limbit

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2019, 02:06:32 am »
Chinese elm is an excellent bow wood, if that is actually what it is. It is pretty difficult to ID since many trees look somewhat similar. Zelkova is nearly identical. However, Zelcova is also a great bow wood, so no loss there.

Offline MattZA

• Formerly MattTheClueless
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2019, 03:36:45 am »
Just a shot in the dark, but no chance he's perhaps getting it wrong and it's actually a Chinaberry?

In that case I think a Chinaberry will make a bow if you use a wide stave and dry it properly. Sapwood is very springy in tension, but seems awful in compression. I can't comment on the heartwood, though.
Unprofessional bowyer. Johannesburg, South Africa.

Offline paulc

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2019, 07:09:35 pm »
Here are the bark and leaves...thanks so much for your help.

Paul

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2019, 07:16:37 pm »
That is Chinese elm. Where do you live? Sounds like there is Chinese elm in Steve’s(badger) part of california too.

Offline paulc

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2019, 07:25:33 pm »
Savannah, GA