Author Topic: 2019 Bow Trade - Sign up closed  (Read 110830 times)

Offline burchett.donald

Re: 2019 Bow Trade - Sign up closed
« Reply #105 on: March 26, 2019, 05:26:16 am »
 Mike,
               Looking forward to your Eastland Woodland style bow...
                                                                                                   Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline bushboy

« Reply #106 on: March 26, 2019, 06:45:06 pm »
Some really nice work guy!sorry for the lack of action shots but,I'm working at a bush camp by the 56th parallel in northern canada.i go for days off on April 1st and plan to take a stave or two with me when I return to work!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline M2A

« Reply #107 on: March 28, 2019, 06:26:04 am »
Welp, my idea for that bl stave just ain't going to happen. Just too much character in the wrong places for me make a specific design out of it so just going to work on it and the the style will be determined by what I can do with what it has to offer. Will try and get a pic or 2 up tonight to show where things are.

Don, I'll keep you up on that piece. It was cut over a year ago but still has lost .5 of an ounce from Sunday. Just from experience it'll be another 3 weeks before I feel good about continuing. But I got lots to work on ATM. And I'm slow as slow can be :)

Safe travels Mr Bush. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Mike

Mike 

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #108 on: March 28, 2019, 12:31:01 pm »
I have some live oak staves that I'm gonna try.  It's a species I haven't worked with yet, and I don't have a bunch of experience with self bows, so if it doesn't work out I'll resort to a bamboo backed lam bow.  :OK

Offline M2A

« Reply #109 on: March 28, 2019, 06:12:36 pm »
Here we go...I did say this morning I'd try and get a few pics up. Could not put in much time on this tonight but its coming along. Its 66"ttt, 1.5" at handle and 1"at tips right now. 1st picture shows it on a long string with about 6" of tip movement. I took the 2nd one thinking it would show the twist in the lower outer limb, but don't seem to show up as well as I thought, but you can see it on the tiller tree Limbs are both have natural reflex but are uneven by about an inch. I'd like to go just a few more inches then put some heat to it to even everything out and take that twist out best I can.

IMG_2580 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr

IMG_2581 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr       

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #110 on: March 29, 2019, 04:47:59 am »
Little more progress on the HL. Sinew degreased with dish soap and steamed out a jog out of one of the fades. Tillered it to 26” at just below 40# and put my sinew in the fridge so it doesn’t rot. I’ll lay down the first course over the weekend.  I’ve been using Old Brown hide glue in a double boiler at 140 degrees with good success.

https://imgur.com/gallery/nrgNFAZ
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 04:55:23 am by hoosierf »

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #111 on: March 30, 2019, 10:56:48 am »
Two layers of sinew complete. Now we wait a few weeks.

https://imgur.com/gallery/aj0KVgj

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #112 on: March 30, 2019, 04:13:56 pm »
      Nice looking reflex and sinew job hoosierf...
                                                                           Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #113 on: April 01, 2019, 06:23:12 am »
Gained another inch of reflex in a few days. This thing’s gonna be a bugger to string.

Offline Mafort

« Reply #114 on: April 01, 2019, 06:45:44 am »
Well just wanted to update y’all. Sorry I haven’t posted anything yet as far as my bow. Between the admirals coming into our secure area at work and a bunch of VIPs coming in daily I haven’t been able to do much work on anything. I love the progress I’m seeing though. Y’all are way ahead of me. I’ll have on done and sent out by the deadline though you can rest assured of that

Offline bushboy

« Reply #115 on: April 03, 2019, 07:59:50 am »
White elm log,seasoned 2years,just need gas for my chain saw.i don't split my elm logs,just guarter them down.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #116 on: April 03, 2019, 06:33:25 pm »
I’ve made a bit of progress on the first couple I’m messing with. These two are more like experimental play things before I resort to a more known to me wood and design. If these two dont work I’ll start in either a persimmon or black locust stave.
I finally got the short paddle bow flexing, wow this little thing is stiff. Full pressure and it’s only moving an inch on the floor. The other is a white silk backed black cherry that is currently pulling 50# at 18” on the long string. One more rasping and I’ll brace it up and check the string alignment. I’ll work it back to a 24” draw at full brace. if it has still held up by then, I’ll narrow the tips down and try out the hollow limb thing. I like the look and want to try one myself.

Kyle

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #117 on: April 07, 2019, 07:24:52 am »
Sorry I haven't been chipping in recently, trying to finish off one or two little things to clear the decks a bit, hoping to get the workshop cleaned out and make some good progress over Easter - only a week to go!!!

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #118 on: April 07, 2019, 05:57:58 pm »
No good pictures yet. But I got the cherry bow pulling 50# at 2” shy of full draw. So it’s about time to pull the pin on the grenade, and brace it up and shoot it a bit and see what happens.

Kyle

Offline M2A

« Reply #119 on: April 07, 2019, 06:42:54 pm »
Been making shavings every chance I get. Got to spend most of today in my shop. Not sure I'll be sending this black locust out but have been working on it like I will be. I got it a few inches from the intended draw length at weight. Have to admit I'm not overly impressed with the pic I'm posting with it drawn, but I'm just out of steam to do any more today:) and I do like to try and show progress each week. Who need a gym membership when you can get a workout for free just tillering.

Back on topic....Looks to me like I got just a bit too much bend mid lower limb. Hope I have enough to even things up and stay at weight, I could also pike an inch from each limb if needed or heat treat again but think I can get what I need with fixing the tiller a bit. On the bright side, I still have 1" of reflex right after unstringing and it gains back more after resting....Think I started with 1.75 inches of reflex.

Going to study the picture for a few days and maybe get a video shooting it so I have a better idea of where to scrape. This is my 1st serious attempt at a bendy so any input is welcome.

IMG_2600 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_2601 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_2602 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr