Author Topic: 2019 Bow Trade - Sign up closed  (Read 108298 times)

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
Re: 2019 Bow Trade - Sign up closed
« Reply #240 on: June 15, 2019, 04:35:04 am »
Mike, that quiver is looking great.  It is going to be a great companion to the black locust bow. 

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #241 on: June 15, 2019, 06:47:31 am »
  Looks awesome Mike !   Can't wait to see this primitive kit complete....I'm jealous of the recipient
                                                                                                                                                        Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #242 on: June 15, 2019, 09:21:47 am »
That quiver is looking awesome!!

Got that little paddle bow pulling a bit above weight at 23”. As expected it’s stacking pretty good gaining about 5# per inch of pull at this point.  So I’m flipping the tips a bit more. Partially to keep the string on, and to see if it’ll smooth out the draw cycle the last couple inches. Once flipped, I’ll put the overlays in and shape out the nocks.

Kyle

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #243 on: June 17, 2019, 07:30:23 am »
Stole some time for more work on my white ash plan B. Working on drying some more on a form and getting the outer third moving. She’s 50# at 24” right now. Still feels pretty heavy in the hand so I’m getting her some fresh air for a week, if the rain will ever stop.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #244 on: June 17, 2019, 09:47:10 pm »
Looking good hoosierf...See the tips moving nicely
                                                                             Don
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 05:02:35 am by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #245 on: June 18, 2019, 01:35:42 pm »
I’m thinking this may be the one I send. I got that little 46” Osage bow pulling 55-60# at 26”. It shoots pretty good too. It took a little set, but not much? About 1/2” or so. Less stacky than I expected, and quick. Plus you can sit on you butt on the ground and shot it like normal. Now to make it pretty. I wanted it a bit lighter, but it just plain didn’t want to lose weight. Oh well, I like how it shoots and handles.

Kyle

Offline Swampman

« Reply #246 on: June 19, 2019, 08:20:54 am »
Wow, you really got some bend out of that one Kyle.  That looks good.

Offline M2A

« Reply #247 on: June 20, 2019, 07:12:16 pm »
That's coming along nice Hoosierf.  Can't tell you the last time I saw a healthy live ash tree around home.

Some bend you got going on there Kyle. Cool little bow.

Still plugging away with some little details that seem to be taking me long time. :)
Mike 

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #248 on: June 22, 2019, 04:04:46 pm »
Decorative inking is done. Wouldve put my other markings, but can’t remember which side is up until I draw it back again. But all it needs it my main markings and some more truoil. Maybe a handle wrap.

Kyle

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #249 on: June 24, 2019, 11:25:36 am »
My other project is nearly done so I've managed to get a move on with the blackthorn bow, its got a little bit of a naturally set back handle going on, think I'll run with its character and flip the tips coupled with a hollow limb.

Offline M2A

« Reply #250 on: June 27, 2019, 06:27:37 pm »
Hollow limb? Cool! That design is beyond my skills set. Hope you post lots of pictures :)  (-P

Offline M2A

« Reply #251 on: June 29, 2019, 03:43:41 pm »
Well folks this is what I'm bringing to the table. 64" ntn black locust bend through the handle. Just under 1.5 inches at handle and 3/4"+ at nocks. Limbs have a little reflex that remains after being unstrung and it's a bit heavier weight and longer draw lenght then I am use to but not by much. My goal was a dependable hunting bow with good cast and I feel I have that in this bow. Minimal hand shock and I sure enjoy shooting it so I hope the the new owner will feel the same.

This build just kinda evolved as I worked on it, kinda like I was just along for the ride. Back of the bow is stained with walnut hulls and bloodroot. Handle is wrapped with stained rawhide that I did in a manner to provide a good non slip grip. Limb wraps made with dogbane cordage that also holds the windfeather and other feathers at handle on.

Along with the bow comes a willow basket quiver lined with raccoon and an otter fur sling. All binding was done with rawhide or dogbane except where the sling attaches to the quiver. For that, I used hand cut leather from the Seneca Iroquois museum when I was there a few years ago. Used some whitetail antler to prevent cordage from damaging sling hide, I just tell folks there buttons. A few turkey feathers decorate the quiver as well. I struggled a bit at first on this but just like that things started to fall into place. And when Don sent me the hides, it was different ballgame, they make this whole set complete. You what they say about paybacks Mr. Burchett, I'll be skimming of an evil plan soon. >:D ;D

Pretty much as natural of a build as I can do, minus string and maybe a few drops of superglue. Oh yeah....finish is Pine Hollow natural bow finish applied with a little heat. One of these days I'll get into making pitch and glues but just not there yet.

In a week I'll be out with my youngest boys scout unit for their summer camp. This set will be a great form of motivation about what they can do with some of the skills I help teach the youngest ones. So hope it helps to spark some intrest in some "primitive skills".

Think that all. Hope you all approve.  As always, if you see something that don't look good lemme know. 1st pic will be pre-strung while very last will be right after unstrung(50-60 shots and 90min or so). Enjoy the pics. Mike

IMG_2734 (2) by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_2770 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_2775 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_2756 (2) by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_2753 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_2752 (2) by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_2737 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_2739 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_2740 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_2741 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_2749 (2) by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_2748 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_2750 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_2783 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_2784 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_2744 (2) by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_2745 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_2777 (2) by Mike Allridge, on Flickr               

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #252 on: June 29, 2019, 04:34:35 pm »
 Mike,
          That's one of the finest bends I have seen on a bendy...Ever so slightly stiff handle with a sexy circle dead nuts, you got all of that Black Locust buddy...The Quiver and bow look like a museum artifact, you got that in spades...That has the real look of primitive and is what I like to see on PA!...   Tiller?, I wouldn't have expected anything less from you after seeing your past work on here...Thank you for sharing with us
                                                            Don

Offline Swampman

« Reply #253 on: June 29, 2019, 07:10:03 pm »
Mike, you knocked this one out of the park.  That is one beautiful bow and quiver!  Excellent work.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #254 on: June 29, 2019, 09:42:07 pm »
I approve. It looks fantastic