Author Topic: Ocean Spray flight arrows?  (Read 2698 times)

Online DC

Re: Ocean Spray flight arrows?
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2019, 09:13:58 am »
I drill it out and glue in 1-2" of bamboo skewer. I do the same with bamboo shafts.
Vancouver Island
If you don't have any questions you must not be paying attention.

Offline Sagebrush

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2019, 08:38:01 pm »
I shall try loading it.  Good thought. Thanks!

Online DC

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2019, 10:46:54 am »
I found a piece of OS under my tablesaw that was 29" long and pretty straight so I cut a 3/8x3/8" blank. Planed it in the shooting board and chucked it up in my drill. Ran it back and forth on the belt sander until it spined 50# approx. It ended up at 5/16" dia and weighs 625 grains. It is still parallel so I could lose some weight by barrelling it and maybe a couple more grains by dropping the spline a few pounds. That's 21 grains per inch. Still seems pretty heavy to me. On the plus side I was surprised how well it planed. It worked quite easily.
Vancouver Island

Online DC

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2019, 06:49:43 pm »
I was putting a piece of bamboo in the truck to dry so I thought I might as well put the OS arrow in there as well. I checked today after 24 or so hours. The weight had dropped from 625 to 591 grains and the spine went from 50# up to 58#. I'm sure that piece of OS was under the saw for a couple of years. It was a half round about 3/4"x 1 1/2". This is making me wonder if OS needs artificial heat to truly dry. I put it back in the truck :)
Vancouver Island

Offline Sagebrush

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2019, 06:39:51 am »
DC Ocean Spray tends to drive me crazy. Until I get my bows roughed out they don't stop losing weight. even then it can take over a year To completely dry, and that is living east of the mountains where our humidity is ridiculously low.

Online willie

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2019, 12:53:04 pm »
Don, I have been playing with a long slow dryng process for arrow stock.  like a year or more  at 100F. this is for confirs though, and I wish I hant put them all in the box, cause I neeeded to keep some out for a control sample

maybe what OS needs though?

Online DC

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2019, 01:16:57 pm »
It's really looking like it needs a couple of years. One slow drying to minimise checking and one rather aggressive to dry out deeper moisture
Vancouver Island